Sign in to follow this  

Dual Registration / CA Plated KTM525 Question

Ok, So I have a 525 that I use primarily for racing but it's a nice perk to have it be plated so I can occasionally take it to work and I dont have to worry about having it off road ever.

The previous owner had what he called a "dual registration" on it and how he explained it was its a dirtbike with a green sticker - no signals, but its got a headlight and a tail light and a license plate. Essentially a very borderline legal roadbike...

Anyways, when he sold it to me he told me that when I changed the title I also had to get a new green sticker and I had to maintain the green sticker or else I was in danger of losing the plate.

So I went into AAA (why go into the DMV if you dont have to??) and i changed over the title to my name and the new pink came in the mail as usual but I never heard anything about the green sticker. A few days ago I went back in AAA to see what the deal was and the guy told me that when the last person changed over the title, they forgot to check the box on the form for "dual registration" and so now its just a streetbike.

So do I throw up my hands and yell victory.... or do I fill out all the forms to change it back to dual reg?

......Im going to go ahead and guess that I got real lucky and not to change a thing. Im just worried because I have heard of plated 525's having their plates revoked.

Thanks guys.

AJKTMSTART1.jpg

What year model is the bike registered as?

A plated bike can be ridden anywhere there is a road or trail. It can be ridden on highway or off highway. No need for dual registration with a plate on the bike. Some guys I know run dual reg, just to get some money in the green sticker fund for trail maintenance, Is a green sticker required for off road racing?

As far as the plate being revoked on a converted dirt bike, I can’t remember the year, but if a bike is registered as a certain year model or older, and has a plate, then the DMV can not revoke the plate. Check with the DMV as to what this year is?

Newer EXC’s come from the factory ready to plate. If your bike is a newer EXC, again check with DMV on year model, or a KTM dealer, then it should only need a plate.

A green sticker is required for AMA competition, but a plate is way better as everyone knows.

The bike is a 2004, its an MXC. Im not sure if the bike came with a plate or not but if I had to guess I would say that it did.

A green sticker is required for AMA competition, but a plate is way better as everyone knows.

You will be fine at Checkers. It is required that your bike be registered for off road use on public lands. The plate trumps a sticker.

SCORE! LOL, i think you got lucky, leave it as it is, put some turn signals and a horn on it tho, just to keep fully street legal.

SCORE! LOL, i think you got lucky, leave it as it is, put some turn signals and a horn on it tho, just to keep fully street legal.

yeah thats not going to happen seeing as the headlight barely stays on during races. I actually still need to get a numberplate from the front.

You will be fine at Checkers. It is required that your bike be registered for off road use on public lands. The plate trumps a sticker.

dood I CANT WAIT. Checkers is always my favorite race