Sign in to follow this  

Should I drill my Acerbis glide plate?

Just got an Acerbis glide plate for my 12 CRF250R an it has dimples on the inside along the bottom that I believe are a template for drilling for venting? At least that's what I got from the instructions. Should I vent it? I'm kinda thinkin that in any wet conditions the holes would just plug anyways.

Edited by 2SiX

do the instructions say to drill the hole? if yes then i would. If not then i wouldnt. Unless you are pressed on drilling them itll be just two holes. btw i was considering buying one. do they mount up to the stock bolt holes? or is extra hardware included to mount it in other places?

What would be the benefit of drilling holes? The bottom of the motor doesn't really need air flow and it seems like holes would weaken the skid plate. Only thing I could see is that it might be easier to wash mud out from between the skid and motor.

The instructions say you can if you want. I rode today and barely any dirt even got in there. But after washing it there is still some water sitting in it I'm sure. So maybe a few holes might be good. I it the one that just has a tab that pops into the rear of the frame and than it had a hook that sort of pops over the right side frame rail and than u just use the bolt that you take out of the original little left side motor guard. 1 bolt and it's on. It took me a little while to get the hole lined up but you just gotta wiggle it around and get it figured out.

i picked mine up today, i think ill just pop the two bolts out that holds it in when i wash it and take the whole thing off.