Sign in to follow this  

Whos faster on 250f than 450f

Who in my weight range,Im 225lbs, is faster on 250f more than 450f on mx track. I have 09yz450f that mostly indoors I feel like I am riding a tractor trailor. Rode my buddys yz250f outdoors and it felt much more flickable and I could throw it into a turn without fear of washing out. Yes power was down but not like I thought it would be. Never tested lap times but Im thinking they would definately be faster in cornering but I dont know about complete lap times.

i just switched from a 07 kx450f to a 07 ktm 250 sxf, and i know im faster. im more comforable, confident and can get through the turns better. i can the the 250f aggresively vs the 450f where i didn't feel as comfortable pushing the bike. im 6'4" 190lbs over 200 with gear, only been riding mx for 6 months, but the 250f has been the best decision so far.

Edited by customss

I really dont have problem being comfortable with the power of the 450. It just feels like a tractor trailer going through corners and especially if I have a rythm section where it is a double, double, double. cornering fells like the bike takes me for a ride not me taking it for a ride. The 250f I could manhandle it and the front end felt soooooo planted. But I am not sure if I would be slower on the 250f but just feel faster.

• Like 1

It depends on the track. In supercross, the 250's and 450's are evenly matched. Outdoors, the 450's are quicker by a fair margin. Obviously those are professional's times, but the same is similar in the amateur ranks.

The heavier you are as a rider, the less the bike's weight makes a difference. So if the rider weighs 220lb (like the op) and the bike weighs 220 vs 240, that 20lb difference is far less perceivable then a 140-160lb rider. Also, it seems to me, around that weight, a 250F will start to struggle a bit and you WILL go slower as a result. Some of the newer 450's are a lot lighter then the older bikes, though I have a feeling they all ride like tractors.

• Like 1

I'm around 205lbs. I went from a RMZ450 to a YZ125 and now I'm on a CRF250 and I know for sure I'm faster on the 250f plus I can ride longer without wearing out than I ever could on either of those other bikes.

I'm around 205lbs. I went from a RMZ450 to a YZ125 and now I'm on a CRF250 and I know for sure I'm faster on the 250f plus I can ride longer without wearing out than I ever could on either of those other bikes.

Why do you think this? Was the 450 to much power or the heaviness.

I just switched from a CRF450 to a RMZ250 and I'm way faster on the 250f aswell. I weight 170 without gear and this 250 has no problems hauling me around.

The 250 does feel lighter and corners alot better (RMZ's corner on rails), I just feel more confident and therefore ride more aggresively on it. I think its the power of the 450 that tires people out more than the extra weight. I was a little more hesitant with the 450 and i'd only last a few laps before the arm pulling torque would drain me. Its easy to over throttle in corners and watch out when you whiskey throttle it! Yikes! lol... a 250f is the best bike for me on a MX track

Why do you think this? Was the 450 to much power or the heaviness.

I think it's a combination of a few things. First being that I never started on a small bike my first bike when I was like 13 was a 84 cr500. From there it went to 250 2 strokes. So I don't think I ever really learned any good riding technique. I was always just holding on for dear life. Which is probably what put me in the hospital those few times. Then I got the 125 and there was no more point and shoot. Ibadan to learn how to maintain momentum or I wasn't going to get over anything. Now the 250f is almost a perfect middle from the 125 to the 450. I wish it was a little lighter feeling. But it gets the job done.

me at 123 lbs and 5'5''. When im on a 450 im hanging on for dear life! Theyre to heavy and powerful for me

Who in my weight range,Im 225lbs, is faster on 250f more than 450f on mx track. I have 09yz450f that mostly indoors I feel like I am riding a tractor trailor. Rode my buddys yz250f outdoors and it felt much more flickable and I could throw it into a turn without fear of washing out. Yes power was down but not like I thought it would be. Never tested lap times but Im thinking they would definately be faster in cornering but I dont know about complete lap times.

It depends on the track. On a fast track with deep and heavy soil the 450 is going to hold the advantage. On a SX track if there is some big jumps right out of corners, again, the 450 would be the way to go. And then there's the rder's weight. At over 200 LBS the 450 rules. If rider weight is 160 and under, on a tighter not so heavy soil the 250 would rule.

Thanks for the replys. I just wish with the technology we have today they could build a 450f that feels like a 250f. Everyone keeps talking about the power of the 450, but the power doesnt bother me. It literally feels like a long heavy tractor trailor to me. A 250f felt great but I am afriad I would miss the power. A 2502t would probably give me arm pump from hell.

Thanks for the replys. I just wish with the technology we have today they could build a 450f that feels like a 250f. Everyone keeps talking about the power of the 450, but the power doesnt bother me. It literally feels like a long heavy tractor trailor to me. A 250f felt great but I am afriad I would miss the power. A 2502t would probably give me arm pump from hell.

Well, think of it a different way. 2 strokes are missing a lot of the 4 stroke mechanic's, so the motor weighs a lot less, henceforth the bike weighs less. 4 strokes generally need to be built with lighter weight components because they are hindered by the extra components needed in the motor, where a 2 stroke, that is not as vital. A 250F can have lighter weight gears then a 450F for instance. So the reason WHY a 250 is lighter then a 450 relates to two things; crank/flywheel weight AND beefier components to handle the greater power output. You could make die-cast cases/heads, you could lighten up the bottom end and pretty much make a machine that is lighter then a 250F, it will just fail more often. So a factory 450F weighs as much as or less then a stock 250F.

The difference in riding between a 250 2t and a 450 4t is quite simply, the 250 2t still likes to be on the pipe, so yea it will drag you around if you arn't "in control" of the machine, hence the arm pump issue. I don't get arm pump when I ride 250 2t's because I know how to ride 2 strokes and I also know how to pinch the bike when it does unexpected things.

Depending on your speed, you can ride a 250F like a tractor as well. I've done it and it does work if you understand how to use the clutch and be in control of the machine. Obviously, as you get faster, the benefits of riding a 250F go through the roof. You'll be able to understand building speed, speed management and of course clutch skills, which are all critical to going quicker. It doesn't take any talent and you don't build skills by "tractoring" a 450 around the track. As my fellow 450F riding friends tell me, they all suffer from bad cornering skills because they haven't ridden anything else BUT 450's. I started on a 125 and continue to ride a "small-bore" 2 stroke because, every time I get on the track, I learn something new. Its HARD to ride a 125 quick, let alone fast and because its "hard" you tend to push harder and that pushing almost forces you to become a better rider. When you ride an "easy" bike like a 450, there is no reason to push harder because the bike is so stupid fast, you don't feel the need. So instead of progressing, you just stay stagnant as a rider, which sucks. A 250F would be better to learn on, but a 125 is the ultimate learning tool. Yep, its a bit small of a bike for a 220lb person to be riding, but the 250F would be the next best thing.

Edited by tye1138

The 450f defintely has usable power but like Tye said, its not gonna teach you the proper technique like carrying your speed through a corner, I noticed I was becoming a lazy rider with my 450. Even if I would screw up a corner I would pin it after and would be able to clear any jump out of corners. However, this meant that my cornering became absolutly terrible!

I think the power of a 250 2t was harder to deal with than the 450, but that 450 just felt heavy for me too. Since you have a buddy who's willing to lend you his 250f, try comparing your lap times and see the difference, even try it at an outdoor track where you can really open the bike up. I thought I was gonna lose a ton fo power by dropping to a 250f but its not all that bad actually (could be because I went from a 05 crf450 to a 10 rmz250 with efi, and im 170lbs).

Another thing, if your worried about washing out your bike in corners, check and see if your suspension is dialed in for you, migth just be a set-up issue thats making you feel uncomfortable on your 450f.

I just wish with the technology we have today they could build a 450f that feels like a 250f.

I don't want to take this thread to a color war, but the 2012 CRF450R feels like a 250F with the 450 power... It's very light and smaller in the tank frame area, making the bike feel small and flick able, unlike the tractor scenario.

Tye, you make alot of sence. Actuall when I did ride a 250f I kind of rode it like a 2t because I had to because of my weight. I used alot of clutch to keep up speed and the bike just felt light and actually using the clutch and having to control the bike made it more fun. Weather here sucks right now but I will ride a 250f and compare lap times outdoors. Have not ruled out a 2t yet but I have throttle side arm pump now and afraid this will exacerbate it. I know in some situations a 250f I will not be able to clear some jumps out of the corners because of my weight. I will do something, I am not getting faster and I blame the heavy and big feeling of the 450.

I'm 6'3" 175lbs and I've ridden several 450's and I believe that I can be just as fast if not faster on them, all while being a LOT smoother. They suit my riding style so much better than my 250f. I mean I enjoy revving the piss out of my 250f on occasion but for example two main things I love about them are:

1) In straights I can actually tilt my feet in front of the pegs and literally let the bike push me and hold it wide open, my 250f doesn't have quite enough push to do exactly that. And the speed of a 450 wide open is awesome!

2) I always try to steer with the back end and on a 250f you have to be in the right gear, the right rpms, and have the right speed to break the back end loose and slide it around. On a 450 you can just roll on the throttle and it'll kick loose so much easier.

Also, just in general they are like freaking rockets. If you can ride smooth on them they are very enjoyable.

The only area I'm slower on them is jumping, but that's because I haven't had enough time on them to be able to hit the brakes hard to not overjump or to scrub yet and that's because power and engine breaking is so much greater than the 250f.

I'm 6'0 and weigh about 150 lbs but I feel more comfortable on the 250f. I have done lap times on a few tracks and I usually go a little faster on the 250f(like 1-2 seconds). Now this will also depend on the track as to which one is faster. If there are a lot of power robbing sections the 450 will be the better choice.

Im feel im kinda light for 450 and it tends to throw me around, where on the 250 I can throw the bike around.

Edited by mxskater56

Some people just feel comfortable on certain bikes.

I'm 200 pounds and I ride a KTM 150, and a KX250F ( although I am selling both bikes to buy a newer KTM 150 and KTM 250 SX)

I prefer small bores, I always have.

In racing, I did have better results on a 450 and 250 2 stroke, but for me the fun is riding a small bore.