Sign in to follow this  

How many amp battery to use?

So I am buying a battery to run my 1.5amp 12v horn on my xr400 that will be mounted either under my seat or the gas tank. I am not hooking the battery up to the stator.

My question is can I run a 5amp or 10 amp battery without blowing up the 1.5amp horn??? Or do I have to run a battery that is around 1.5 amps with the 1.5 amp horn? Can you explain amps to me. I was looking at a 0.8 amp battery that would fit under my seat, would that run a 1.5 amp horn? thanks for any help!

Do I need to run a in line fuse???

I think you need to be less concerned about amps and more concerned about volts. Since it's a 12v horn you're running, the battery will need to be a 12v battery. Amps-wise, the horn will draw only what it needs, but you have to have the volts behind it to push the amps. A 5-10 amp battery would be fine as long as it's 12v.

TR42, okay so the horn will only draw 1.5 amps even if the battery is 5 or 50 amps. I know it has to be a 12v battery to go with the 12v horn, that's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes lol. So would a 0.8 amp 12v battery power the horn or would it have to be at least a 1.5 amp battery to push the horn to its maximum potential of 100 decibals? In line fuse? thanks for the info!

TR42, okay so the horn will only draw 1.5 amps even if the battery is 5 or 50 amps. I know it has to be a 12v battery to go with the 12v horn, that's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes lol. So would a 0.8 amp 12v battery power the horn or would it have to be at least a 1.5 amp battery to push the horn to its maximum potential of 100 decibals? In line fuse? thanks for the info!

Just about any battery can supply hundreds of amps. The rating of the battery is in Amp-hours, not amps. That is, the capacity of the battery is such that with a 1 amp load, the battery will last however long the rating is. So, a 5 A-hr battery will make your 1.5A horn blow for 3.33 hours before it goes dead. A 0.8 A-hr battery will be dead after the horn blares for roughly a half hour.

JayC