Sign in to follow this  

Stolen, recovered from Canal, flooded, running issues

As the title says. Approximately 3 weeks ago someone tried to steal my 2011 drz 400s from my garage (while I was home). they tried dragging it through a canal (with the engine off) but couldn't get up the other embankment. Bike laid in water (about half submerged, sideways) overnight (12 hours). I recovered the bike out of the canal only to realize that everything was filled with dirt, water, mud, and sand. the air filter box was just like a bucket of mud. water was all the way through the carb into the engine and down to the tranny (as well as some sand). I've spent the last three weeks cleaning it and changing the oil etc (about 12 times now).

My problem:

Bike starts without a problem. (I have a 3x3 mod and JD Jets). Ran Perfect prior to this incident.

Anyways, when cold the bike starts and idles just fine. I can ride it and it feels like it has all the power as before. when I come to a stop, after a few seconds it wants to shut off. it stutters and will shut off unless I keep the RPM's up. when I ride it, it feels just fine again, until I come to a stop and try to let it idle. (for it to not die, it has to idle considerably higher than what it idled at before all of this happened).

If I let it die while it's idling (and warm), it takes 15 seconds of cranking before it starts again (also have to throttle it). I know, this is bad for the starter, but I had no other way to get it started. so what's the problem?

Is it overheating? Is a jet clogged? do I not have compression? Is my head &%$#@!ed?

I have been really dissapointed at this happening, because I bought this bike brand new, and is my only mode of transportation (other than borrowing a friends car for 3 weeks). Please, any help you can provide me will be appreciated. I don't want to ride it until I know it's not overheating (probably not because it runs fine at higher rpms) or if there is considerably more work to do.

thanks.

What a-holes to do that to a brand new bike, i hope karma leaves them in a ditch some day.

hope you get it sorted out.

how did they get it out of the garage while you were at home?

Easy things first, clean and regrease wheel, headset, swing arm and shock link bearings. Since I'm assuming salt water got into the engine, drain the engine oil, don't forget the oil tank. Look for signs of water in oil. Buy the cheapest motorcycle oil. With lines off the oil tank, plug the oil tank at bottom and pour in a quart then drain. If you saw signs of water at draining the oil poor a couple of quarts through. Looking for signs of water. If you see water in the oil keep flushing. Do the same w/ the motor. Flush oil lines before reinstalling.

After flushing motor go ahead and remove the vlave cover, stator and clutch side covers and inspect clean and dry. Pull the clutch and dry that too. Reason for pulling these later is hoping the oil flushed the water out, and removing later will allow you to get any that is still clinging.

plus clean all electrical teminals, or at least inspect them and dry, reassemble w/ dielectric grease.

If this was fresh water I wouldn't be as concerned about the damage of water, but it's the salt that shoukld cause concern.

Go ahead and pull carb completely appart and clean.

Once you get it all together, put in a cheap motorcycle oil and run it for maybe 100 miles.....change oil and filter, then run it for 2-300 miles change oil and filter. Then run like normal.

Edited by One Less Harley

I would try running a tank of gas treatment through it, something like Sea Foam or what ever. Besides being a possible carb issue, you could also be experiencing an electrical issue (weak spark, or it's partly grounding out). If that's the case then trace the kill circuit and then the spark circuit.

Ok guys thanks for the input. the good thing is it wasn't saltwater, it was freshwater. at this point, I am certain I have all of the water out of the engine/crank/ and hopefully the head. I will tear the carb apart again and look through it and clean again. It could be electrical... although it starts and runs just fine when it's cold. when it warms up it doesn't idle, but still runs fine. any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Fresh water, well that's good news!!!! Salt water is BAD. You should check electrical connections, make sure they are dry ...check every terminal, then put dielectric grease on them. This will help keeping the contacts in good shape for years to come. Fresh water or not you should still flush the engine and forks, just maybe not a dillagently as if it was salt water. Run some oil through the oil tank and engine, no need to pull the stator and clutch covers though. Then change the oil within 100 miles, just in case, because the bike was submerged in water for a while. Better to be safe than sorry.

Water left in the forks will get you years down the road, so a flush after being submerged for 12 hours is good to do.

Make sure you drained and dried the gas tank completely and fuel lines, pull the petcock apart too. Really sounds like a carb issue though. It doesn't take much to clog up those little pathways in the carb. Pull all the jets and clean thouroghly!!! Blow out with brake cleaner and air, before blowing out make sure you have removed all the liitle springs and such that might get blown out...and dissapear forever. Take close not of how things come appart.

BTW- you'll still need to give the bearings a repacking as Suzuki didn't grease these bikes very well from the factory.

ok thanks. that gives me confidence that another carb cleaning should do it. It's been quite frustrating, having my bike together but it not running right. If any other advice comes up let me know

use a small thin FLEXIBLE wire to clean out the jets. No Idle sounds like the idle jet is parially obstructed or A/F mix (1.5-2 turns out, I think). Spray brake cleaner in the jets and other passageways, pay close attention to the fluid flow, you'll be able to tell if it's obstructed by the way the fluid sprays out. It should be s nice straight stream, if obstructed it will spray off to one side.

You may want to check for air leaks also, use carb cleaner and spray around the carb intake boot, if idle changes, you have an air leak. If you have fuel coming out of the carb while running then your needle and seat are contaminated.

ermin that sucks buddy! go over EVERTHING, from the front wheel to the rear. Ill be back down to FL with the bike after i get this Big bore kit finished, i hope its all sorted out by then so we can hit the trails again

ok thanks. that gives me confidence that another carb cleaning should do it. It's been quite frustrating, having my bike together but it not running right. If any other advice comes up let me know

Hey, let is know if you successfully resolved all the issues with your bike. Good luck!

yeah actually cleaning the carb again and doing it really carefully and tediously resolved 95% of the issues. it runs perectly fine, and idles good too. it is a little hesitant when I throttle down etc, but considering what it's been through I am happy and I am pretty sure that I can't do a better job cleaning it unless I get a new carb.