Sign in to follow this  

Crossroads- need some advice 03 CRF 450R

hey guys,

I think Im at a crossroads of sorts.

I've had my 2003 CRF450R for 6 years now. Bought it off of eBay for $3100 in 2005 and its been the best $ ive ever spent.

Virtually no problems and I ride MX 2-3 times a month. Its got a lot of hours, I'm guessing around 250 - 300. Ive never had any engine problems, it starts no problems, so I've never done any engine work except a small valve adjustment in 2010. It still starts on the third or 4th kick and has plenty of power, but Im starting to feel like I am on borrowed time as far as a major issue.

I did have to replace the frame last year as I found a crack, but that has the only major thing other than routine maintenance of filters oil tires and cables.

Should I sink some cash into it and get the suspension worked on (its getting soft) and go ahead and do the preventative mods (cam chain tensioner, new valves, water pump impeller mod) or sell as is and look for a newer model?

I've got some cash to buy a newer bike, and I'm looking for a solid 08 but those are not easy to find.

Knowing what has been said about the 09's and newer, Im not sure what would need to be done to set the newer gen CRF to get it right for my size (Im 6'1" and about 210 and in my 40s.)

Im in exactly the same place. Pondering the same thing. And the more I think about it, you'd (and I'd) be better off throwing new plastic at the 03 and selling it off for what you can get for it and finding an 08 and doing the same kind of maintenance on it instead.

• Like 1

hey guys,

I think Im at a crossroads of sorts.

I've had my 2003 CRF450R for 6 years now. Bought it off of eBay for $3100 in 2005 and its been the best $ ive ever spent.

Virtually no problems and I ride MX 2-3 times a month. Its got a lot of hours, I'm guessing around 250 - 300. Ive never had any engine problems, it starts no problems, so I've never done any engine work except a small valve adjustment in 2010. It still starts on the third or 4th kick and has plenty of power, but Im starting to feel like I am on borrowed time as far as a major issue.

I did have to replace the frame last year as I found a crack, but that has the only major thing other than routine maintenance of filters oil tires and cables.

Should I sink some cash into it and get the suspension worked on (its getting soft) and go ahead and do the preventative mods (cam chain tensioner, new valves, water pump impeller mod) or sell as is and look for a newer model?

I've got some cash to buy a newer bike, and I'm looking for a solid 08 but those are not easy to find.

Knowing what has been said about the 09's and newer, Im not sure what would need to be done to set the newer gen CRF to get it right for my size (Im 6'1" and about 210 and in my 40s.)

I see your dilemma. With that many hours you might be looking at some big $$ to refresh the motor before it starts failing or grenades. Selling it probably wouldn't fetch a whole lot do to age, condition, and this economy. You would probably do better parting it out on ebay. If it were me I would look for newer bikes with lower hours and see what they are going for in your area. Look into cost for both options and go from there. I see many great deals on craigslist etc.

Thanks guys

So an 08 would be better than a newer gen CRF?

How much should I expect to pay for an 08 if I can find one?

I see them for around 3 - 3.5K here in Kalifornia. I occasionally see a few nearly new 08s (very low hours) for around 4-5K. But since the 05-08s are so similar if you could find any of those years in great shape I would not hesitate.

I have waaaaay to much into my 03 to let er go. I'll keep mine fresh and hand it down to my son one day.

I was in the same boat for about about five seconds and then I realized....I like my old bike!

I have waaaaay to much into my 03 to let er go. I'll keep mine fresh and hand it down to my son one day.

I was in the same boat for about about five seconds and then I realized....I like my old bike!

Brings tears to my eyes to see others with older bikes like me and my 02. I have been looking at getting a EFI bike for the track but the 02 stays!

I originally purchased my 06 CRF (used) as a fill-in until I picked up a 12 CRF or SXF. I figured I would get rid of it in a couple of months when I find the replacement bike. After riding it a few times I find that I enjoy riding it and dont want to bother with finding a newer bike.

two months later...

Thought I'd revisit this thread and pry some more input out of you guys.

Swapped out the frame on the 03 been riding ever since its all good.

Until last week; I come in off the track and find the subframe broken right above where it connects to the frame behind the foot peg and under the airbox. Not bent, but compound fracture, broken in two!

I am 215#s and 6'1" and ride pretty hard but to see a OEM subframe break (and the crack in the frame that started this thread) that has me wondering about the longevity and lifespan of aluminum.

I got the sub frame welded up btw, but I am on an intense search for my next bike.

Found an 08, supposedly under 10 hrs but he's asking $4000.

So two questions:

what do you guys think about metal fatigue on the aluminum as a concern, and is the 08 worth $4k when it is low hours and still 4 years old.

Here is a gem in Georgia. It is probably going to go up to $3500-$3700. At that price I would by it right this minute if it was local. If it were $3000.00 I would by it and pay the $500.00 to ship it here. I have been looking around southern cal and I just don't see them for sale very often. I may be missing them though as they probably go quick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Honda-CRF450R-Almost-New-/320889250676?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4ab67d6374

Going to go look at that one on CL tomorrow. Might sound crazy but I am going to take a filter and oil and see if he would be willing to show me the existing oil and filter. That might not mean anything as he may have just changed it for the sale but if it drains black and has metal in the filter then I will be looking at trying to talk that price way down or just walking away

Good find on the bike in Canton on eBay not too far away from me. Wonder if he would take a BIN, probably not. I am considering one that is comparable to that one with less boot wear on the cases. But it further away by a couple of hours.

So you think $3500 - $4000 is on the money for an 08 in this condition??

They might do a BIN. I have seen it before. If you are seroius about one I would ask them I were you. If I was within 8 hours of it I would pay $3500.00 site unseen. That bike looks way to good to not be as descirbed.

I watched another out of state 08 just like the one I posted above, a real gem, go for $3700.00 on ebay. I don't think that one will get up to $4000.00. If it were here in CA maybe, but probably not in Georgia where the cost of living is lower.

The other one that I posted above on Craigslist is 20 minutes from me in Newport Beach and it is listed at $4125.00 but $3700-$3800 might get it. Who knows maybe less. Might go look at it later today. I REALLY would like to have that ebay bike but it is just to far.

Sent him an email asking about a Buy It Now or perhaps ending the auction early. We'll see!!

I just got back from looking at the CL 08. It is a really nice find. for sure 15hrs or less. Only thing I could find on it were 2 light boot scratches on the top of the rear fender. Other then that it's like new. Just barely a little tiny bit of boot wear on the case covers. I didn't buy it because he seems pretty firm on $4000.00 and I am not working at the moment. If someone wants to pay $4000.00 for a cherry 08 they should go look at it.

I just got back from looking at the CL 08. It is a really nice find. for sure 15hrs or less. Only thing I could find on it were 2 light boot scratches on the top of the rear fender. Other then that it's like new. Just barely a little tiny bit of boot wear on the case covers. I didn't buy it because he seems pretty firm on $4000.00 and I am not working at the moment. If someone wants to pay $4000.00 for a cherry 08 they should go look at it.

4K is too much for that bike, even an 08. You can find 09's and 2010's for 4k.