Sign in to follow this  

shifting up without using clutch good or bad?

ok ive heard both when im riding the whoops in the sand its hard for me to grab the clutch lever so i just say screw it and pin it.. but a couple kids were telling me it doesnt hurt my yz250f to shift up and not using the clutch.. is this true? i dont want to mess up my bike or anything

Its not bad to shift without the clutch, though it does require some throttle manipulation to make sure you don't mis-shift.

This topic is one of the "heated" ones on this forum with many opinions. If you wanna read more about it, here are the links that discuss it in detail.

How bad is power shifting on your bike?

Shifting with no clutch? 07 CRF450R

clutch when shifting

clutchless shifting

Is it okay to shift WOT?

not using clutch when downshifting?

Shifting: clutch, throttle or not?

Shifting

Clutch needed when shifting?

General clutch/shifting question

Is the clutch needed when upshifting???

Yes, it's better to nip the clutch when upshifting because there is a lot of pressure on the tranny at that time. This will allow you to be more consistence in getting it all the way into the next gear, you will miss fewer shifts and you're tranny's life will be extended. This way if you're really looking to get all the power and speed out of the bike you can keep the throttle wide open and shift, known as "Power Shifting".

It's not necessary to nip the clutch when downshifting because there's not much pressure in the tranny at this time. But it is better if you can give that clutch a little quick nip at the precise instinct of your downshifts as well.

Remember to keep one or two (one is better) fingers on that low end lever whenever you may even remotely need that clutch. On the start use two or three fingers but on the track for all those quick nips you'll be doing one finger is the way to go.

For all the Clutch, Throttle and Shifting techniques watch the free preview of my Volume 3 DVD #3 (Motocross Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques DVD) at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-3-clutch-throttle-clutch-control/

How do I whip?!?!?! SCRUB?!

But in all seriousness, I don't use my clutch except in turns or on starts. I just make sure I'm off the power when I upshift so as to unload the transmission.

Man guess I'm doing it wrong as I have not used the clutch during shifting since 1974. I do ocasionally leave the throttle wide open and snap the the clutch as I up shift on starts. Never use it in typical running the gears or downshifting. For over thirty years I've always preloaded the shift lever and blipped the throttle to make my shifts. Course this has been pretty much exclusivly on two strokes having only owned a handful of timing chain equipped beasts

You should squeeze with your legs harder so you can keep a finger or two up on your clutch lever. Just practice keeping one finger(index or middle whatever is more comfortable) over the clutch and brake lever at all times. As for shifting without clutch...it's a heated argument on this forum and will never stop being one. I personally use the clutch for modulating power in corners and starts, but on straights uphills and just about everything else I shift without the clutch but chop the throttle from 100% to 90% to "rock" the tranny and pop into gear. I wouldn't just bang gears though. Also when you're entering whoops you should already be in the right gear and in attack position....shifting seems as though it would ruin your rythm? correct me if I'm wrong.

I read in a book motocross by Gary Semics that clutch use for downshifting is unnecessary, but should be used for upshifting.

[sarcasm]

You did? Really? WOW!!! Amazing that Gary remembers what he wrote in his books! LOL

Sorry Gary, but I had to make a funny! :thumbsup:

[/sarcasm]

Iet off the gas for a sec to rock the tranny and shift up. I do it 90% of the time

I took Gary's advice and always ride with a finger on the clutch and without even thinking about it I started quickly grabbing the clutch when up shifting. I never used to use the clutch when upshifting or down but since my body does it without thinking now i just stick with it since it is recommended by the man.

Funny but I used to balk a bit when I would read Gary's responses to most threads because they are mostly short and always recommend a video at the end. Well i finally gave in to his advice and bought a few and it was the best advice I ever got. I ride better and faster than i ever used to. A video is worth so much more. Now if I could just make it to the east coast for some real classes.

Edited by c-slak
  • Like 1

whatever fits ur riding style, in my case 90% of the time i dont have time to reach for the lever, i just "speed shift".

whatever fits ur riding style, in my case 90% of the time i dont have time to reach for the lever, i just "speed shift".

Speed shifting is using the lever....either you are rocking the tranny by cracking the throttle slightly or you are just forcing it....if youre forcing it be prepared for some bent forks or ruined gears. When you speed shift you clutch it but never let off the gas...you just stay wide open and feather e clutch to change gears...I usually do this on starts.

Speed shifting is using the lever....either you are rocking the tranny by cracking the throttle slightly or you are just forcing it....if youre forcing it be prepared for some bent forks or ruined gears. When you speed shift you clutch it but never let off the gas...you just stay wide open and feather e clutch to change gears...I usually do this on starts.

oh lol sorry for the miss use of speedshift, i rock the tranny i guess haha

i just realized today i never use clutch either unless in corners, and sometimes not even. i just let off the throtle for a milisecond and shift up or down, way faster and alot easier

I never shift with the clutch ,way to slow

??? Is it really that much slower to feather the clutch to shift? I understand there are definitely several ways to shift but doing several drag runs it was actually faster for me to shift WO feathering the clutch instead of chopping the throttle 5-10% to rock the tranny and shift without the clutch.....several bike lengths faster.

Now if you let off gas pull clutch shift then release clutch while rolling on the gas again than I could see it being slower.

i agree with "

if you let off gas pull clutch shift then release clutch while rolling on the gas again than I could see it being slower." but when chopping the throttle you dont have to really rock the bike. You let off the throttle anyways when you pull in the clutch to shift and then your back on the throttle. so you can eliminate the entire clutch step even feathering the clutch it takes time to reach your fingers out and pull in and the release even if your only pulling it in half way. some people ride almost with always one finger on the clutch but i dont because all i grab the clutch for is corners. let me know if that makes sense or not lol

i agree with " if you let off gas pull clutch shift then release clutch while rolling on the gas again than I could see it being slower." but when chopping the throttle you dont have to really rock the bike. You let off the throttle anyways when you pull in the clutch to shift and then your back on the throttle. so you can eliminate the entire clutch step even feathering the clutch it takes time to reach your fingers out and pull in and the release even if your only pulling it in half way. some people ride almost with always one finger on the clutch but i dont because all i grab the clutch for is corners. let me know if that makes sense or not lol

Yea everyone has different riding style. I have a finger on brake and on clutch all the time and only ever use 1 finger on each...It takes the same amount of time to feather the clutch(slight pull) as it does to move my foot so the part I skip is letting off the throttle...

I only ride like that when I'm racing...up in the mtns trail riding I just shift slow and let off and use the clutch...im not battling anyone so I kep it easy on the bike lol.

You don't have to let off the throttle when you feather the clutch and shift...its called speed shifting...but hey everyone has their own styles and its all about learning and figuring out whats best for you.

Yea everyone has different riding style. I have a finger on brake and on clutch all the time and only ever use 1 finger on each...It takes the same amount of time to feather the clutch(slight pull) as it does to move my foot so the part I skip is letting off the throttle...

I only ride like that when I'm racing...up in the mtns trail riding I just shift slow and let off and use the clutch...im not battling anyone so I kep it easy on the bike lol.

You don't have to let off the throttle when you feather the clutch and shift...its called speed shifting...but hey everyone has their own styles and its all about learning and figuring out whats best for you.

yea ture true and oh man trails is a different story completely, i have some good rails around here but on the tight rocky ones my clutch is half in half the time lol