Sign in to follow this  

Best option for shock rebuild?

The bike is a 2004 YZ250F with stock suspension. Right now I have it all apart and I'l trying to figure out the best route to go with the rear shock. It isn't leaking, and the bumper looks OK... not great, but it's not coming apart or anything. The fluid has probably never been changed, or at least not in a while. I would be ding all the work myself, except the nitrogen.

Should I just leave it until it starts to leak?

Should I get one of those KYB rebuild kits for it? Where is the best place to get them?

Should I just replace the seal head with an aftermarket one and call it good?

Any other option I should consider?

Thanks!

Inspect all parts and only order what you need, most suspension parts show visable wear

The bumper sounds like its due as is a oil change, sometimes other parts show little wear even after a good few hours

That sounds like good advice to me.

Where's a good place to get the stuff like seals and bumpers? Should I buy individual seals or go with an assembled seal head like the ones all balls sells?

OK, it looks like I can get the KYB rebuild kit from the TT store for like $45 and that includes "oil seal, seal head o-ring, seal head bushing, piston wear band, piston o-ring, bladder & bumper."

Is there any difference between replacing the seal head and just replacing the seals in it assuming the seal head isn't damaged?

Its not a bad deal but the piston ring is a bugger to change, buy the kit and use the parts you need, the rebuilt seal head will be as good as a new one but the only tricky part is the Bush, to remove the old one just tap it inwards where the join is