Sign in to follow this  

Will running mixed gas (200:1) in a 4 stroke hurt it?

Well, long story short. I switched from a 125 to a 250f this week, my dad had put 4 gallons into a tank that already had about a gallon of gas mixed 40:1. I had WP2 here at the house and never got to mixing it. I'd hate to see this gas go to waste, is it ok the run it in my 4 stroke? (2004 yz250f, if you're curious)

I've read up on it, and everybody says it isn't going to hurt, that it actually helps a little. I just want to make sure it's alright before I do. Thanks!

3 different responses. personally, id put it in my car or truck. They can handle it and it its a little full itll be even more diluted. why risk it with the bike, cars can be replaced :bonk:

There is no way in hell I would experiment with the mix in my car/truck...with all of the sensors on modern day vehicles. Run the 200:1 in your 250F, it wont hurt it a bit..it will just burn off. Somebody put some 50:1 mix in my parents utility 4 wheeler recently...it smoked a little, but didnt hurt anything.

• Like 2

I ran a gallon or so of 40:1 through my 450, not a single issue. If anything it might be good, gives the top end and valves and little lube.

@Kayaker, that's what I read and what I kind of figured.

Thanks for the prompt responses, I filled it up and ran it for a 5mins and it didn't smoke or anything.

Well, long story short. I switched from a 125 to a 250f this week, my dad had put 4 gallons into a tank that already had about a gallon of gas mixed 40:1. I had WP2 here at the house and never got to mixing it. I'd hate to see this gas go to waste, is it ok the run it in my 4 stroke? (2004 yz250f, if you're curious)

I've read up on it, and everybody says it isn't going to hurt, that it actually helps a little. I just want to make sure it's alright before I do. Thanks!

FWIW, I'm currently running 25:1 mix in both my Honda Foreman ATV and my Snapper LT16 lawn tractor. I dump old 2-stink mix into my Tundra all the time.

JayC

Edited by jayc250x

I always put a little premix in when i fill up my gas cans for the four strokes. Helps stabilize the fuel and im sure it does some help to the top end

FWIW, I'm currently running 25:1 mix in both my Honda Foreman ATV and my Snapper LT16 lawn tractor. I dump old 2-stink mix into my Tundra all the time.

JayC

My tundra is a BOSS. 176k and runs like its got 10. 10 total not 10k. i throw old premix, race gas thats been contaminated, etc. never misses a beat.

God Luck OP. hope nothing goes wrong not that i think it will.

• Like 1

no youir fine

There is no way in hell I would experiment with the mix in my car/truck...with all of the sensors on modern day vehicles. Run the 200:1 in your 250F, it wont hurt it a bit..it will just burn off. Somebody put some 50:1 mix in my parents utility 4 wheeler recently...it smoked a little, but didnt hurt anything.

Dont put it in your car! this sort of thing would make the check engine light come on in out subaru due to failing to pass emissions or some BS, In other words pay a shitload to have a mechanic analyse turn the check engine light off. your bike wont mind it one bit.

Dont put it in your car! this sort of thing would make the check engine light come on in out subaru due to failing to pass emissions or some BS, In other words pay a shitload to have a mechanic analyse turn the check engine light off. your bike wont mind it one bit.

or you can go to advanced auto and reset the check engine light with their scan tool for dirt cheap if not free

As far as putting old slightly dirty (2 stroke oil) gas in an automobile/truck, if the motor is carbureted, it would be occasionally okay. If the motor is fuel injected, only a fool would put dirty gas in the tank. The jets in a carburetor can pass a bit of oil better than injectors, but neither is recommended. Cleaning clogged jets and replacing clogged injectors is much more expensive than the money saved on trying to use dirty gas.

The same applies to motorcycles as well.

Dirty gas works great for killing weeds in patio and driveway cracks. It a bit scary, but I have used it for air filter/parts cleaner in a plastic tub. It works wonders for cleaning oil spots on the driveway and garage floor. It works great for wiping oil/grease off a bike with a rag.

It runs the chain saw, weed trimmer, lawn mower.

And folks, come on, a 4 stroke does not need ANY 2 stroke oil in the gas. 4 stroke is not designed for 2 stroke oil. Who in the world would be so foolish????

I throw old pre-mix in my truck and nothing. Still runs great. It may only be a gallon or two at most in a 26 gallon tank. It dilutes to the point where there is no premix. lol

The problem with premix in a car/truck is the O2 sensors and the catalytic convertors. Both pretty pricey parts. Over time it will damage the Catalytic convertor.

In a 4 st bike that does not have catalytic convertors (to date no dirtbike does) the worst that can happen is a fouled spark plug. I say run it in the bike.

my fathers a mechanic and never hesitated to put our old 2 smoke gas in his old truck (now mine), it has 200k still stock motor driven every weekend to the track

Edited by yzf2fiddy789

The problem with premix in a car/truck is the O2 sensors and the catalytic convertors. Both pretty pricey parts. Over time it will damage the Catalytic convertor.

In a 4 st bike that does not have catalytic convertors (to date no dirtbike does) the worst that can happen is a fouled spark plug. I say run it in the bike.

yes but a couple of ounces in 10 gallons of gas every once in a while isnt going to hurt much these parts burn out over time regardless

yes but a couple of ounces in 10 gallons of gas every once in a while isnt going to hurt much these parts burn out over time regardless

True, but I am not going to risk a part that costs several hundred dollars over a few bucks worth of gas. I will run it in the chain saw, weed eater, mower even a 4st motorcycle. Just my opinion.