Sign in to follow this  

2006 250X Need New Top End?

Well lately I have noticed my bike has been puffing some purple smoke on some higher revs. I know this would be because of my rings getting warn out, but do you think that its time for new ones??? I've heard its "cheap insurance". How much would it cost for just the rings and the piston and rings.

How many hours since any motor work was done? If unknown, do piston and rings. I went with the OEM 2008 250 R piston, gives a little more compression and can still run pump gas.

How many hours since any motor work was done? If unknown, do piston and rings. I went with the OEM 2008 250 R piston, gives a little more compression and can still run pump gas.

How much does it cost, i'm a confident with most mechanic stuff. But not tearing into the engine like that. Do you know how much it would cost to have a shop do it?

White smoke is oil smoke(indicating piston and rings or valve guides/seals). Black smoke is fuel smoke(too rich). If you rebuild, consider replacing the valves while the head is off(stainless lasts longer). Clean oil and air will help it last longer between builds.

How much does it cost, i'm a confident with most mechanic stuff. But not tearing into the engine like that. Do you know how much it would cost to have a shop do it?

just call your local shop and ask for an estimate.

My guess is around $200 for parts and 1-2 hrs billed at $80-$120 dollars per

P.S> I'd be happy to pack up some tools and come over to help....you gotta reimburse fuel, food and lodging. I might even bring the bike....might as well ride Montana while I'm there! :lol::bonk::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I get about 17 mpg and live near Houston if you want to estimate cost for that route.

Edited by Jakeblues

P.S> I'd be happy to pack up some tools and come over to help....you gotta reimburse fuel, food and lodging. I might even bring the bike....might as well ride Montana while I'm there! :lol::bonk::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I get about 17 mpg and live near Houston if you want to estimate cost for that route.

Ummm...Thanks but no thanks, ill figure it out. Although if you were to come out to Montana I would be more than happy to show you around!!!

Ummm...Thanks but no thanks, ill figure it out. Although if you were to come out to Montana I would be more than happy to show you around!!!

Damn! No free trip!

Damn! No free trip!

No, sorry...But you would get a free and professional guide :bonk::lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Jake, stop by Midland and pick up me and my bike!!!! I got some vac time to burn.

I just rode my ASRacing ported and polished '06 250X with 08R cam and piston and it's AMAZING. More low end, revs longer/quicker. Can easily ride a gear higher with ease sections where before I had to fan the clutch to keep it pulling. (I had a HotCam before) Paul at ASR can nearly match the earlier X head intake port to the 07/08 R intake port (size and shape) polising of the exhaust port and combustion chamber looks like CHROME. Kibblewhite intakes, springs, seals, keepers, valve job and port polish was so cheap I'm afraid to say how little it cost for fear he'll see this and realize he didn't charge me enough.

You are pretty close on parts cost. I got my parts thru Service Honda. I had never done a 4stroke top end before either. (ASR did all the head/valve work) I followed my Clymer (Spelling dosen't look right)service manual and had no problems. Not sayin it was an easy process cause space is cramped at times but it is not difficult.

ST O.D.

It's not that hard a job, as long as you have a manual. There is also a GREAT article under the FAQs I believe that has tons of really good photos. Don't be too scared of it, if you have basic mechanical skills, a good torque wrench, and the patience to follow the steps, it is an easy job to replace the piston. The head requires a valve spring compressor to really do the job right. It can be done without, but it is tough. Rockymountain sells the compressor for like $40. Ask around, I bet someone has one they will let you use.

My suggestion..... take the head and cylinder off yourself. Replace the piston on your own, send the head off to get SS valves put it. I did my SS valves myself, I have the tools. My local machinist (buddy) charged me $20 just to clean up the seats a little. Either way you do it, get the valves replaced wil SS. Put it all back together yourself. Should be good for a lot of hours, depending on how you ride.

While you are in there, be sure to check the side clearances on the big end connecting rod bearing. Better to find that the crank is worn out before it explodes than after.

Thanks for all the info, I can see me having no problem tearing it all apart but putting it back together is always a problem for me!

Always that one last step after tons of work that goes horribly wrong. Happens literally every time I do something mechanical, EVERY TIME!!! Havent had something go perfectly smooth in a while...

ihave a 06 head I would sell. I have to look at it to see what parts are still with it, no cam and right intake zeroed out. If interested say so will work something out.

I just went riding today and realized its doing pretty good, I think i'll put it off until I really start eating up oil. Right about now my bike uses as much oil as it takes for it to be low on the dip stick by the time I do an oil change, thats not to bad right?

Do it now or you will regret it. Those pistons have tiny skirts that when worn a little really rock that piston.Putting loads on the cylinder and rod... Then it could get UGLY! Iv'e done 4 diferent 250x rebuilds this year alone.

Do it now or you will regret it. Those pistons have tiny skirts that when worn a little really rock that piston.Putting loads on the cylinder and rod... Then it could get UGLY! Iv'e done 4 diferent 250x rebuilds this year alone.

About how many hours is it between motor work?

I just rode my ASRacing ported and polished '06 250X with 08R cam and piston and it's AMAZING. More low end, revs longer/quicker. Can easily ride a gear higher with ease sections where before I had to fan the clutch to keep it pulling. (I had a HotCam before) Paul at ASR can nearly match the earlier X head intake port to the 07/08 R intake port (size and shape) polising of the exhaust port and combustion chamber looks like CHROME. Kibblewhite intakes, springs, seals, keepers, valve job and port polish was so cheap I'm afraid to say how little it cost for fear he'll see this and realize he didn't charge me enough.

You are pretty close on parts cost. I got my parts thru Service Honda. I had never done a 4stroke top end before either. (ASR did all the head/valve work) I followed my Clymer (Spelling dosen't look right)service manual and had no problems. Not sayin it was an easy process cause space is cramped at times but it is not difficult.

ST O.D.

Do you have to RE-Jet after porting?

I'm looking at his website now, his work looks great!

I think I might consider him, Porting and Polishing seems like something I need.

Starting to want more power