Sign in to follow this  

Bought a 2004 YZ250F for 1300.

So, I sold for my 2002 SX125 for 1400. Spent the day on Craigslist looking at bikes, researching them, then speaking to the owner. A friend of mine had saw that I was looking for one, and said that he'll look for some for me. 15 minutes later, he replies with 3 links, ALL 250f's for just under 2k. One needed valves, the other was about 5 hours from me, and then the YZ. It was listed as an 01, and at first glance I didn't know any different. I looked at forum threads and articles on them, they said they were somewhat expiremental, but you could find aftermarket parts to suite them. After reading good things, I called the owner, he said it was Bored to a 275, had a full White Bros exhaust, Kayaba suspension, Pro taper bars, D.I.D rims, and renthal chain and sprockets. He claimed he payed 2300 for it and it had just sat in his garage. The top end had been rebuilt 4 months ago when he was about to start racing it but the guy he raced with ended up having issues of some sort.

I rode it, it fired up first kick and screamed. I pulled third gear and it stood up in the process. Stopped, took another look at it, the forks weren't leaking, the engine cases and frame looked warn, but taken care of. My only issue was were the plastic condition, more specifically the graphics. The plastics were dirty, scratched, and the graphics were missing chunks. I used this to drop him to 1300, loaded up and brought it home.

Now, earlier that day, I had posted the CL picture of it on Craigslist. Sometime while I was out on the road, a friend of mine commented and let me know it was actually an 03+, NOT an 01. I saw the notification on the phone as I was stopped at a redlight and quickly pulled into the nearest gas station and checked the VIN. The 10th digit was a 4! I was extactic! I had not only got a GREAT 250f for a good price, it was a 3 YEARS NEWER than what I thought!

Sweet deal man!! Congrats, welcome to the family!!

Post pics of the new baby!

Edited by Swede73

gX3B.jpg

This is the most recent picture of it, the old plate graphics were pretty banged up, so I took them off and prepped the plates for new ones.

• Like 1

i just snagged an 04 yz250f for $1000. Low hours and really clean. Needed minor stuff like fork seals. You got a good deal. I got lucky! kid was hard up for money.

• Like 1

i just snagged an '04 myself for $1100. the guy i got it from broke the kickstarter off (one of the few known issues with the 03-05 models) and had bought the new parts and hadn't put them on yet.

myyzf.jpg

Edited by fndrbass19

i just snagged an '04 myself for $1100. the guy i got it from broke the kickstarter off (one of the few known issues with the 03-05 models) and had bought the new parts and hadn't put them on yet.

myyzf.jpg

Looks like we're running the same team graphics, aha. Is it missing the front number plate?

yeah, that pic was taken when i took it to a friend's shop about a week ago to have it thoroughly gone over to make sure i didn't blow the thing up on my first ride. i'm all about doing my own maintenance but i wanted a once-over by a legit mechanic. i had some upgrades done too, and most importantly it gets out on good behavior wednesday! ha