Sign in to follow this  

Top reliable speed with 14T/48T on XR650L?

As posted in another post, I may be getting a 2004 XR650L. What's the top reliable speed I can cruise at with a 14T/48T on an uncorked bike? Will highway speeds (70mph) be possible or will I be carrying around extra sprockets with me for the trails?

60 is about the limit IMO for cruising for an extended period with that set-up. I switched the front back to a 15 tooth on mine for awhile and it worked better for hwy use, actually not a bad compromise unless you do some tight trail riding.

Hm.. running a 48T back and 15T front for highway doesnt sound bad. Switching a front sprocket is a hell of a lot easier than switching a back. I can throw a 14T in the toolbag too likely. :bonk: I like this idea.

What's the max reliable speed with 15T/48T? It'll do 70 for a few hours without a problem?

Hm.. running a 48T back and 15T front for highway doesnt sound bad. Switching a front sprocket is a hell of a lot easier than switching a back. I can throw a 14T in the toolbag too likely. Quick 10 minute change and I should be good to go, no? :lol: I like this idea.

What's the max reliable speed with 15T/48T? It'll do 70 for a few hours without a problem?

I run a 14/48 and the absolute top speed is around 75, 80 to 83 going down a hill. So around 65 would be reliable. You could very well carry a 15 and swap out back and forth, 15 for the street and 14 for the Trails.

I would say "comfortable" cruise for the 14/48(3.42 ratio) combo is 55 to 60 mph. If I had to ride several hours at highway speeds higher than this I would suggest going with the stock 15/45 combo and then switch to a 13/45 (3.46 ratio - very, very close to the 14/48 combo). As someone said before, it is much easier to change the countershaft sprocket than the rear.

I would say "comfortable" cruise for the 14/48(3.42 ratio) combo is 55 to 60 mph. If I had to ride several hours at highway speeds higher than this I would suggest going with the stock 15/45 combo and then switch to a 13/45 (3.46 ratio - very, very close to the 14/48 combo). As someone said before, it is much easier to change the countershaft sprocket than the rear.

Now you've peaked my interest. Which performs better off road? 13/45 or 14/48? :bonk: I don't know much about gearing, so educate me please.

Edited by malignity

I currently have a 14/45 sprocket combination on my XR650L and can stay with 80 mph traffic no problem. Cruising at 70 mph should be fine all day for me, and I used to do it once and a while when I commuted 35 miles each way (about a year ago).

Switching to 14/48, according to my calculations, would drop those numbers to 75 and 65 or so. I'll have new sprockets soon, so I should be able to check it out personally.

Hm, I was planning on running a 13/45 for trails, but aparently according to some other sources, 13/45 can cause excessive chain wear because of the front sprocket. Can anyone confirm or deny? Last thing I need is a broken chain 200 miles from home. Lol

Hm, I was planning on running a 13/45 for trails, but apparently according to some other sources, 13/45 can cause excessive chain wear because of the front sprocket. Can anyone confirm or deny? Last thing I need is a broken chain 200 miles from home. Lol
I'll be trying out a 13-tooth front sprocket soon. You're always better going bigger on the rear than smaller on the front, but wear with a very small sprocket all depends on how fast you go. If you want to run 70 mph on the freeway for long periods with the 13, you'll likely see some chain issues. If you keep it under 40 and are mostly riding at 5-10 mph (trials speeds), I don't see anything to be concerned with.
  • Like 1

The absolute highest speed I have attained with the 14/48 gearing is 86 mph. The ol' L was turning some major rpm to say the least! I love the 14/48 combo for trail riding but it not the best for cruising at higher speeds. I personally think cruising at any speed over 60 mph for extended periods of time would put a lot of wear on the motor(with the 14/48 gearing).

I don't think one would even notice a difference between the 14/48 (3.42) and 13/45(3.46)gearing the difference is so small. I have not personally tried a 13 tooth front sprocket.

I'll be trying out a 13-tooth front sprocket soon. You're always better going bigger on the rear than smaller on the front, but wear with a very small sprocket all depends on how fast you go. If you want to run 70 mph on the freeway for long periods with the 13, you'll likely see some chain issues. If you keep it under 40 and are mostly riding at 5-10 mph (trials speeds), I don't see anything to be concerned with.

Went out today Scott....slow boat though :bonk: cost me a whole 4 bucks,,so it`ll be 2 weeks plus i`m thinkin..

B

15/48 will run 65 without too much strain so you might be okay at 70 for a couple of hours. I had a lowering link on mine when i switched back and forth but a longer than stock chain would be needed with the stock link. I removed the lowering link last weekend and had to put the 14 back on the front to get the stock chain back on. The weather was great here today and i did around 100 miles of back roads in the wildlife management area today, I'm a bit tired, the winter has made me soft.

Let me know how it works. A front 13t will be cheaper than a rear 48t since I think I have stock on the one I'm looking into. Question is, will the same linked chain fit?

For reference, just yesterday I ordered a couple of JT sprockets. The 15-tooth was $20. The 48-tooth was $38. This was from my local motorcycle parts and accessories store.

The bigger one is more, but I don't consider it to be significantly more, since it's less than twice as much.

1.) The absolute highest speed I have attained with the 14/48 gearing is 86 mph. The ol' L was turning some major rpm to say the least!

2.) I love the 14/48 combo for trail riding but it not the best for cruising at higher speeds.

1.) I bet it was. The fastest I have gone to date on 14/48 is ~97mph and my 600 was all out of power. 600s have a numerically higher primary ratio, so it was twisted up even higher than a 650L would have been. :bonk:

2.) +1. It's a bit buzzy at normal highway speeds and even worse at freeway speeds.

What I have done is split the difference and run 15/48. I think I will go with 14/45 when the current setup is spent so I have a higher speed ceiling. I like to go fast. :lol: (insert Ricky Bobby joke)

• Like 1

The comments in this thread is the EXACT reason why I love my 5th gear mod. With the mod I run 14T/49T that gives me really good torque in 1st through 4th and my new fifth gear gives me back my highway speeds. I can't express enough how I love it.

I too used to carry a smaller sprocket but this mod eliminates the need.

• Like 1