Sign in to follow this  

Weight difference (450exc vs 530exc)?

(yes did multiple searches and didn't find anything)

What is the realworld/legitimate weight difference between these 2008 bikes?

450exc vs 530 exc

450xc-w vs 530 exc

Shouldnt be any real weight difference. One just has a bigger piston and bigger bore than the other. The rest of the bike is almost identical.

The bikes should be exactly the same weight. Both have 95mm pistons and the cranks are basically the same size with the 530 simply having a longer stroke via a crankpin with more offset.

The bikes should be exactly the same weight. Both have 95mm pistons and the cranks are basically the same size with the 530 simply having a longer stroke via a crankpin with more offset.

Oh yeah. Im thinking of the older RFS engines EXC models. 450 has a 89mm piston but same 72mm stroke.

Ok well somewhat related; I was flipping through a 2010 review of the 530xc-w and they mentioned the 450xc-w is 4 lbs lighter.

They didn't actually mention specific weight of the 530xc-w however.

The 530 has the same bore/piston size as the 450. The difference is in the stroke, so the 530 has a bigger, heavier crank, and a taller cylinder than the 450. So there's definitely a difference in engine weight. But in the end that small difference is irrelevant. The longer stroke of the 530 will make it feel heavier, even if the weights were the same.

If there is one thing certain in the motocyle industry, it's that you can not count on mfg claims to be honest or correct!

Found a Dirt Rider mag long term test of 2008 450xc. Wet weight but empty tank= 237lbs

This specs both bikes at 253 lbs.

http://www.ktmmotorc...e=143&page=tech

I own the 450 and have ridden 3 different 530's, while very trail worthy the 530 rides much heavier, I believe it is due to

the massive low end torque that it puts out.

Edited by mikesbaron

either way I don't think the bikes are more than a couple of lbs off from each other, two totally different bikes in the saddle though.

The 450 definately feels like the smaller, lighter bike.

Most of the local 530 guys around here are more DS/Fire Road riders.

The 450 with a pipe and jetting has plenty of jam for anyone..

This specs both bikes at 253 lbs.

http://www.ktmmotorc...e=143&page=tech

I own the 450 and have ridden 3 different 530's, while very trail worthy the 530 rides much heavier, I believe it is due to

the massive low end torque that it puts out.

What's odd is the new 500 feels almost exactly the same as the 450, just a bit more power, unlike the old 450 versus the 525/530.