Sign in to follow this  

10-30 Oil in dirt bike?

Would it be okay to run 10-30 fully synthetic oil in a 08 kx250f? my dads work is getting a new type of oil and he can get like a barrel (55 gallons) of it..right now i run spectro 10-40 semi synthetic. i can find the brand of it tomorrow..so would it be okay to use it in a 2008 kx250f? how bout a 2011?

you should really use a motorcycle oil because regular car oils arent meant to work with wet clutches

You should try and find out if it meets the certifications. For example alot of people use shell rotella and that oil is JASO-MA certified.

10-30 would work if it was rated for wet clutch applications and you were running in a cold enviroment..

The major issue with car oil is that it has massive amounts of friction modifiers. The modifiers impregnate the clutch fibers thus the clutch starts to slip and slip bad burning the clutch out extreamly quickly and it also runs the risk of loosing drive up a jump causing a crash..

If you want to run cheap oil or can't source oil [needing it on a day the motorcycle shop is closed] run Shell Rottella T white bottle.

I personaly only run Shell Rottella T 15-40 but I also change my oil pretty much after each and every ride..

Its not that I wanted to run cheap oil, but if we had a lot of it I might as well used it and changed it every ride. Winter here in NE is messed up, it was 60 the other day and snowing/freezing the next. Ive ran spectro for some time, but I can get ~4 times the amount of castrol 10-40 for the same price from walmart, which is only a couple of minutes away (compared to the shop thats 20 mins away)

run the shell rottella T from wallmart its what I do.. Been running it in everything I have for years.. I've have two motor failures and both of those had nothing to do with oil..