Sign in to follow this  

How to tell what year your engine is?

Just as the title suggests, when you've bought a used bike how can you be sure the engine hasn't been swapped? Are they're any visual indications that you can tell the different years apart with? What about internal components? (Such as the decompression system, which I know changed)

Just as the title suggests, when you've bought a used bike how can you be sure the engine hasn't been swapped? Are they're any visual indications that you can tell the different years apart with? What about internal components? (Such as the decompression system, which I know changed)

Pretty sure the decompressor changed in 06. The 02-03 had no paint on the ignition cover. The 04-08 did. The 08 got a switch just above the shifter. But from 04-07 its pretty tough to tell without pulling a valve cover or even the head. The numbers on the ID plate near the shifter could probably tell somebody, but Ive never seen info on how to read that tag.

The carbs have tags that correspond to the years.

What's this switch look like?

Pretty sure the decompressor changed in 06. The 02-03 had no paint on the ignition cover. The 04-08 did. The 08 got a switch just above the shifter. But from 04-07 its pretty tough to tell without pulling a valve cover or even the head. The numbers on the ID plate near the shifter could probably tell somebody, but Ive never seen info on how to read that tag.

The carbs have tags that correspond to the years.

Finally figured it out, can't thank you enough. Mine does indeed have the switch.

For anyone else who might wonder,page 16-19 of the honda manual has a picture indicating the switch.

Also, I believe I've figured out how to determine the year from the engine identification number. While scouring google for info on the subject I came across an article on oemcycles website. (Wouldn't let me post a link)

This site states the EIN of a 2002 450R as

PE05E-20-----, so if you take the second digit of the second set of numbers (which is 0) and add two you get 2. This corresponds with 02'. I looked at mine which is 26-----, add 2 and you get 08. At first I knew this was way too little data to make a formula out of but if you look at the serial in your manual on page 16-19 again the serial is PE05 2600012 which is consistent. Also, if you turn to page 1-3 of the 07-08 manual there are four pictures showing the locations of four different serial numbers. There is the VIN, in which picture you can see a 2007 label, theres the EIN, carburetor identification number and model identification number which again shows 2007. G

iven that you can see the 2007 sticker in two of the four pictures on this page it is safe to assume the EIN location and carb IN locations also depict the same 07' model. The serial on this page is 2500013. So far so good right?

I'm not saying it's for sure but if anyone else chimes in with they're serials we could figure it out.