Am I crazy...

For wanting to change my own tires (WR, so 21" n 18"), when my rear has 2 rim locks and I have never done a tire in my life, lol. I already bought the spoons and a bead buddy (in the mail), but I am starting to get cold feet. I mean I hear 2 opposing rim locks is soo much harder...but I check around google and don't see anything real good on it. Anyone with experience with this think I'd be better off taking it to a shop, even if I kinda wanna learn! Thanks.

I should also mention its a 120/90 rear on a 250f, i know "too big", but seen/heard a lot to the contrary other then slightly more difficult to mount lol....

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Tires are a pain in the ***. When me and my dad did it, it was frustrating. I would rather pay the shop 20 bucks to change it and save the aggravation. The rim lock is a PITA.

Your not crazy at all. I would recommend getting or building a stand as well as the good spoons. My buddy or one an it is sooooooo much better than doing it on the ground or even on a bench. It's going to be frustrating and your probably going to pinch a few tubes. But once you get it figured out you'll be saving yourself a ton of money in the long road. We've done like 6 tires on my buddies stand already. The shops around here charge $25 to change a tire. We've found it's best to put a tad bit of air in the tube then stuff it in the tire and air it up more so that it'll sit up in the tire and it's harder to pinch the tube with the spoon. Just take your time and you'll eventually figure out good technique then you'll be able to charge all ur buddies case of beer to do their tires.

Thats what i hear....but part of it for me is....when we're out on the trails, and someone blows a tire, if u have the simple tools it takes to pull a tire and patch or put a tube in if possible...could make a ruined day goin to a shop...an hr tops to fix with mediocre skills, lol.

But I hear ya, all I hear is how hard it is, then I watch all these videos and it doesn't seem that tough if you just use good "techniques"...my biggest concern is the rim-lock. I mean seems you could heat the tire up and make it a lot easier too if you got the patience. Heck can i just throw it in the oven for a few minutes @ low temp?!?! LOL!

Like i said, i been watchin a lot of how to videos, and googling it, so i've seen most of the tricks. But on the one tutorial on youtube he says start removal 180 degrees from the rim lock, well I have 2 on opposite sides, so that cant work...im thinkin ill just start in the middle of the 2 and go from there. And on install start @ the one rim lock and have to go from there. Most of the things if not all I seen were for 1 rim lock.

It wont be to hard to get the hang of dealing with the rim locks. I use 24" tire irons, makes it fairly easy. to get the tire off i just take of the nut and push the rim lock in to the tire while i do it. when putting the tire on, put the nut on a few threads and push it in while on that part, careful not to get the inner tube caught between the rim lock and tire. have the tube slightly inflated on reinstalation to reduce the chances of pinching.

After just changing a tire on a cr with 2 rim locks for the first time, I'll say yes, start in the center between the locks and work towards the other side. This will allow the tire to get in the dish as you reach the other side Just do it. Frustrating as it may be, it gets easier each time and is money in your pocket. Local shops here charge $55+tax.

Among riding buddies and people i've met riding, i'm suprised how few people change can their own tires. It's basic bike maintanence, just a little more in depth then oil or filter changes. Do you have any buddies who ride who can help you out, even if your doing all the work it's easier the first time to have someone help you, hold the wheel and give advice. Watching videos online to tire changing can help give you an idea of the process, but the only way to get it down is practice. Rim locks aren't a big deal.

I always start removing the valve stem core and rim lock nuts and press in the rim lock. Next break the bead from the rim using tire irons. Get some dish soap and generously lube the tire bead up on the side your working on. If it's taking a while and drys you might have to relube. Before you start pulling the bead over the rim for the first time, take a tire iron and push the bead 180 degrees around toward the center of the rim. Once I get a little bit of the bead over the rim i use two irons and work my way around. You figure out how big of bites at different parts as the bead comes off to make it easy and not beat up the rim. Try to be stratigic with the last couple bites so when you get to the last one you put two spoons in and pull it all the way over.

if i have to do them on the floor sometimes i'll pull my knee pads out of my gear bag.

Edited by Die_trying

I actually seen a lil tip on a video that uses a tire iron to slightly lift the tire that made the valve stem fall right through the hole...Couldnt u also throw a lil string around the threads and slip knot it on...run that string through the hole the stem comes out of before u even put the tube in...then as u put it in pull the string through, and when ur ready just pull the string and use a lil screwdriver to feed the stem through?

Really dunno if thatd work, lol...not sure exactly what has to happen to get it through, kinda just thinkin of old bicycle tires, haha.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I ride in rocky terrain and change tires often. I watched a couple of "how-to" videos before trying, and during the process, which was invaluable.

Two rim locks is extra work. They are not really 180 deg apart. When taking the tire off, I just never start the process at a rim lock, and when putting one on, I never end at a rim lock.

Changing tires is difficult but gets easier with experience of doing a few. My first time took quite a while with a lot of sweat and cuss words, but it is a learned skill.

I have never changed a tire on the trail. I have had a couple of flats on the rear, but with the two rim locks, I can ride a flat tire, carefully and slowly, back to my truck without damaging the tire or rim. I actually added a second rim lock to my red bike. The rim was already drilled for it. Why? Because, I still find it difficult to change my tire in my garage on a tire stand with large tire irons so, I've avoided carrying the bulk and weight of tire tools and a spare tube when I ride. Now, I ride an OHV loop and seldom get more than 10 - 20 miles from my truck, so riding out on a flat with two rim locks is doable, although takes a while at slow speeds. Riding out with a front flat is much easier.

I don't get flats often. I always check that I have at least 14 psi in my tires before every ride and that my wheels, tubes, and tires are in good condition. I always use a new HD tube and rim strip when I change my tires.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a pain the frist go around but once you get the hang of it it's going to save you alot of money. Just make sure you get the bead pushed down into the drop center of the rim on the opposite side from the tire irons. And get yourself a cheap squirt gun with some soapy water in it, to keep the bead nice a slippry. And never bring the tire iron past 90* or straight up when puting the tire back on or you're going to pinch the tube.

Take small bites with the tire iron, if it's really hard to push/ pull you're taking to much at once. Take your time.

If you want a cheep tire stand get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 full or so of heavy wet sand or dirt.

It's always good to have a buddy around to help too

And yeah you really only need one of the rim locks.

Edited by moose_338

I do all my own changes and I have one of those valve stem pullers. It's like a valve cap with a string thru the top of it. It comes in handy for some changes but I don't need it every time. Considering the cost of one, It's a nice extra too to have in your arsenal

I too change all my own tires. I can't stand the thought of dropping $20 at the shop for someone to do it for me. Plus they are never open when you would actually need them. Learn to change them by yourself, then charge your buddies to do theirs.

As others have said, I'm amazed at how many guys don't change their own.

there seem to be alot of people taking thier tires to shops...I used to think there was no way I could fix a flat or replace a tube out on the trail until a buddy that I ride with fixed 4 flats on one ride with no problem, he showed me how it is done and now I wouldnt even think about asking a shop to mount a tire unless it was free with a tire purchase... its like loosing your virginity..... once you do it - youll enjoy doing it more often ... :bonk: