Sign in to follow this  

Boots: where to start?

I know it has probably been posted a thousand times but i can't find any good threads. Does anybody know of or would recomend some good riding boots for an up to $200 price range? I ride woods if that matters

Hands down, the best $200 boots are Gaerne GX-1. They are the only Italian made boot anywhere near that price point.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 3's, they work great for woods and track.Try some different boots on, see what you like best, buy those, but make sure it'll be supportive enough.

You know what? I walked into a local ATV shop that I (more or less) trust and asked them to recommend me a boot. They sold me a pair for $125 (I'm in woods all the time) and I'm deligted with them. Find a shop you can hold accountable (a place where you give the majority of your business) and ask their advice.

No $125 boot will offer sufficient protection. You get what you pay for with boots.

No $125 boot will offer sufficient protection. You get what you pay for with boots.

so my $85 ARC Corona's are useless? If you ask me, they're better than no boots at all.

so my $85 ARC Corona's are useless? If you ask me, they're better than no boots at all.

They are better than nothing, but you get what you pay for with boots. You should never cheap out on boots and a good fitting helmet.

Try them all on and get the ones that are the most comfortable. I as well as my friends have had foot/ankle injuries in high dollar boots and low dollar boots. If your gonna break your leg your gonna break your leg. I have Tech 3's and Im still waiting for them to break in. They're fine for the money but they're nothing special. I'd like to have some SG10s or SG12s. But I would also be curios to try these GX-1s.

just thowin this out there, but considering as much as a bike costs, and considering how critical it is to have good feel AND good protection, don't skimp. $375 gets you a very nice SIDI boot .. The Charger. http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=45 Not as expensive as the Crossfires but VERY nice boots. They fit awesome, soles can be replaced but will take years and years of riding to wear em down, and all the parts can be replaced if broken.

I will agree the Italian boots are the best fitting, best made. As i understand it, many of the mfgs. of boots are all in the same area of Italy?

As i understand it, many of the mfgs. of boots are all in the same area of Italy?

Yes, the best boots in the world come from north eastern Italy. All Gaerne and Sidi boots are made there. Only the top of the line Alpinestars boots are produced there now as they have started making most of their boots in Asia. The quality drop of alpinestars over the last ten years shows.

Just bought my son a set of 661 Comp boots and they definately seem to be higher quality than his last pair of Alpine Stars Tech 3's.

Yes, the best boots in the world come from north eastern Italy. All Gaerne and Sidi boots are made there. Only the top of the line Alpinestars boots are produced there now as they have started making most of their boots in Asia. The quality drop of alpinestars over the last ten years shows.

ah.. yes. JoJo at Motonation had mentioned that now that you refresh my memory! :bonk: it is really evident the difference in the Italian made boots vs. some of the other JUNK that is out there. Some boots look like the "moon boots" some of us (older folk) saw some wear as kids.

Try them all on and get the ones that are the most comfortable. I as well as my friends have had foot/ankle injuries in high dollar boots and low dollar boots. If your gonna break your leg your gonna break your leg. I have Tech 3's and Im still waiting for them to break in. They're fine for the money but they're nothing special. I'd like to have some SG10s or SG12s. But I would also be curios to try these GX-1s.

Fed Ex just delivered a pair of Gaerne SG-10 Off road Boots 2012 and I had to try them on. I have been in my office with them on for about 3 hours now and they feel great. I only paid $309 for them delivered. I can't wait to go riding with them. I would not believe that riding boots could be this comfortable. And when I walk around in them it doesn't feel like I am wearing ski boots.

I switched to these boots because my Alpine stars Tech 3's wear killing my feet. It was hard to walk in them and after riding in them for about an hour or so my feet would be so sore that I would have to stop riding. I actually have a severely bruised toe nail on one of my big toes from those boots. I know that it is only a matter of time till the nail falls off. I will keep the Tech 3's for a backup or if someone riding with me for the day does not own a pair of boots, but I would NOT recommend them to anyone. I might have just got a bad apple, I don't know. They were loose in places and tight in other places. Very uncomfortable boots. I think you get what you pay for.

Edited by Mark6299

Boot selection depends on where and how you ride. Off road may have more risk of fott damage than MX but also need to able to walk.

I have a pair of Tech 7s, OK boot with so-so fit and the good foot protection of a plastic boot but; thick toe box can't feel the shifter, stiff ankle can't walk or feel the brake pedal, slippery sole can't walk in the woods, tight around the calfs, leak water.

I have a pair of old leather Gaerne boots, nice comfortable boot for off road but limited foot protection if you smack a tree stump, ouch! Lug sole, good water resistant with bees wax application.

I have a pair of SIDI Crossfires; smaller toe box and more water resistant than the Tech 7s, hinge ankle allows walking, very comfortable, nice fit, plastic boot foot protection, calf opening big enough for my leg and knee pads, lug soles available, almost as hard to water proof as the Tech 7s.

I have a pair of Gaerne oiled leather Trials boots; very comfortable, Vibram sole, easy walking, waterproof, easy buckle system, leather boot foot protection.

So my list of things to consider:

Fit, important for long rides.

Waterproof if you ride in wet conditions

Plastic to increase foot protection

Lug or track sole

Flexibility if you need to walk

Toe box style for shifting and braking needs.

Room for large calf and/or knee protectors.

said it plenty of times, because I once was a fan of hinged boots. BUT stay away from hinges they protect the ankle but sacrifice the knee. Alpinestars patented the hinge a long time ago, but got away from it because of the stress it puts on the knee ligaments.

Tech 3 is pretty hard to beat for your price range.

I hear many good things about Gaerne, so if they have some boots in the $200 range....that might be a good look. I was told in another thread that some of the online dealers will send you boots and then re-ship another size for free if they do not fit. I don't know this first hand, maybe someone following me can confirm?

I would say this...coming from years of loving snowboarding boots in the store only to have issues on the mountain. Try them on....walk around the store. Shift around, move in different angles. If you look goofy for 20 minutes to a few people, who cares?

My feet are wide so narrow Alpinestars were out. I have been pleasantly surprised by the budget Fox Comp 5's that I bought, although the buckles seem a bit budget.

Happy hunting...

said it plenty of times, because I once was a fan of hinged boots. BUT stay away from hinges they protect the ankle but sacrifice the knee. Alpinestars patented the hinge a long time ago, but got away from it because of the stress it puts on the knee ligaments.

I hadn't heard this angel before and was getting interested in SG 10's. Why does the hinge cost you in the knee?

I have a pair of gaerne GReact,I found them for under $200 last year.

They are very comfy and support my messed up and previously broken ankle very well. I had tried a few different boots previously and they did not offer support or they were too tight on my metal ankle hardware.

what?? i would like to see some evidence that a SIDI crossfire TA or SR boot is somehow going to be WORSE for you than other boots. It won "best boot" for a reason. Comfort AND protection.. Show me some hard evidence to the contrary and i would concur with you..

these guys can't ALL be wrong.. LOL http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=1#details

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirt Rider Magazine: "Great boots in feel against the bike, and nice and compact toe area, and great buckles and design, and I love the easily-replaceable sole."

Dirt Rider magazine's Jimmy Lewis: "these are my new favorite boots, and I'm not alone."

Motorcycling magazine: "The Crossfire boots are excellence defined."

Motocross Action magazine: "When you think of high-end boots, Sidi's Crossfire should be one of the first things that come to mind. It's that good."

ATV Sport magazine: “…we absolutely love how easy the quick release buckles work.â€

Dirt Bike magazine: “We love the Crossfire boots because the first five minutes of wearing them feels like we’ve been wearing them for 40 hours!â€

Motorcyclist magazine: “They’re incomparably protective and holding up better than any other off roads we’ve ever tested.â€

ATV Rider magazine: "I have recently found a boot that I feel is better than anything I’ve ever tried on. The Sidi Crossfire SR boot is definitely a blow to your wallet, but what you get in return is worth every penny.â€

Thad Josey, ATV Rider Magazine: “They by far have the best buckle system on the market and do not require a body builder to lift (lol).â€

ATV Insider Magazine. “We are confident to say that the Sidi Crossfire SR is a winner in every respect and worth every penny of the price tag.â€

Trail Rider magazine: "The Sidi Crossfire boot is truly a work of art."

Transworld magazine: “Verdict: If you are in the market for a top-of-the-line boot, the Sidi Crossfire is the boot for you.â€

Dirt Bike magazine: “Overall this $500 piece of moto footwear rates an A-plus by the Dirt Bike staff.â€

City Bike: “I am one of those shoppers who learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for and that quality invariably leads to higher cost. When you consider how high the quality is on the Sidi Crossfire boot, the choice of the Crossfire boot becomes a no-brainer.â€

AMA MOTOCROSS.COM: “Sometimes a product comes along that simply feels like it was custom made for you; and when it comes to motocross boots, for me that product is the Sidi Crossfire.â I recently unpacked a new pair and went riding – immediately they felt perfect on my feet.â While comfort is key for me, I must add that so is safety; and feeling safe is how I feel wearing Sidi.â€

MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS: “Given the Crossfire’s superlative quality, this is a case where you truly do get what you pay for!â€

Edited by MELK-MAN