Sign in to follow this  

1996 dr 650 advice

Goin to look at a 96 DR 650 tommorow afternoon. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Problems? Base gasket? He wants 1400 for it and from the pictures, it does not look too bad. Nobody wants to buy a problem bike. It has around 9xxx miles on it. Any advice you guys could give me would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Have a close look, if the upper chain roller is still there or a hole in the frame instead. I should´ve done that ...

Like any bike I would check chain, sproket, tires, and brakes. While these are all wear items if they all need to be replaced your going to add another $4-500 to your bike right away. I bought my 96 last summer with 4k miles on it. Now has 7k miles. No issues so far.

bring a screw driver and tap the spokes. check the bottom of the engine for rock damage if they are not running a skid plate. hell might not be a bad idea to see if they even have a air cleaner in the box. it amazes me how many ppl i see running 4 wheelers and snow mobiles with nothing even attached to the back side of the carb!

remember any little problem you see gives you haggle room!