Sign in to follow this  

FMF PowerBomb header pipe guard / heat shield

Hi,

I have bought an FMF PowerBomb header pipe (for my PowerCore 4 exhaust system) and I was wondering what pipe guard / heat shield to get for it.

fmf_08_pow_bom_hea_pip.jpg

There's a few options for the heat shield. One is this one:

FMF_79-8046.jpg

But it looks small and cheap... (It's about $40). Has anyone got one of these?

The other option is this carbon heat shield / guard:

$(KGrHqF,!o8E8Vgh08DvBPILO8kcKw~~60_35.JPG

It's about $100 - it looks kinda weak.

Does anyone have either of these? What would you recommend?

Cheers,

Caleb.

Hi,

I have bought an FMF PowerBomb header pipe (for my PowerCore 4 exhaust system) and I was wondering what pipe guard / heat shield to get for it.

fmf_08_pow_bom_hea_pip.jpg

There's a few options for the heat shield. One is this one:

FMF_79-8046.jpg

But it looks small and cheap... (It's about $40). Has anyone got one of these?

The other option is this carbon heat shield / guard:

$(KGrHqF,!o8E8Vgh08DvBPILO8kcKw~~60_35.JPG

It's about $100 - it looks kinda weak.

Does anyone have either of these? What would you recommend?

Cheers,

Caleb.

I have both. Go with the E-Line.

• Like 1

I have that header on my 02 CRF450r and I have the stainless FMF heat shield pictured on it. I fricken hate it. FMF's have to be shielded from the initial bend all the way back past that expansion chamber to keep it from burning leathers and boots. Burned mine. Also the kickstart does not sit flush with the heat shield on. I did not know about the E-Line until recently but they only sell it for the 04 up. I am ditching the FMF and picking up my new MRD full system this weekend along with the E-Line Dave at MRD has recommended.

I apologize not trying to rain on your parade. I would for sure look at the E-Line as it appears to cover a much larger area of the pipe including the chamber. The FMF is only about 6-7 inches long and only covers 1 of 2 areas that burn leathers/boots. If I was able to get one like the E-Line for mine I probably would not have burned leathers and hated it.

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 1

I have the eLine by Moose on my KTM stock header. It's plenty strong and does the trick. I'd go for the CF unit b/c it works as a heat sheild and adds some protection.

I'm gonna be riding on dirt... Do you reckon it'll hold up?

I thought this was a cool idea for free if you still have a stock pipe with heat sheild .

http://www.thumperta.../page__st__2740

about half way down the page....and even lower he shows how he did it.

That's freaking awesome!!! I might try that if I can't find this eLine one for cheap...

Edited by Caleb_Aus

I have that header on my 02 CRF450r and I have the stainless FMF heat shield pictured on it. I fricken hate it. FMF's have to be shielded from the initial bend all the way back past that expansion chamber to keep it from burning leathers and boots. Burned mine. Also the kickstart does not sit flush with the heat shield on. I did not know about the E-Line until recently but they only sell it for the 04 up. I am ditching the FMF and picking up my new MRD full system this weekend along with the E-Line Dave at MRD has recommended.

I apologize not trying to rain on your parade. I would for sure look at the E-Line as it appears to cover a much larger area of the pipe including the chamber. The FMF is only about 6-7 inches long and only covers 1 of 2 areas that burn leathers/boots. If I was able to get one like the E-Line for mine I probably would not have burned leathers and hated it.

Thanks mate... It's what I needed to hear. That FMF one didn't look very good, and now I know not to get it.

I'm gonna be riding on dirt... Do you reckon it'll hold up?

I guess that depends on what you expect it to hold up to. I'm sure it has its limits, but for the typical bumps & bruises a dirt bike sees, sure. I highsided at about 30 and the bike went down hard. The pipe guard was a little scratched, but did it's job and is still in place.

I guess that depends on what you expect it to hold up to. I'm sure it has its limits, but for the typical bumps & bruises a dirt bike sees, sure. I highsided at about 30 and the bike went down hard. The pipe guard was a little scratched, but did it's job and is still in place.

Ok cool! Looks like I'll be buying this! Thanks everyone for your help.

Caleb.