Sign in to follow this  

Sand Track GoPro Vid. Am I revving my bike hard enough?

I've posted a couple of my GoPro videos of me at a local track on here before asking for opinions on my riding, and what most said, and what I agree with; is that I was shifting tOo early and riding the bike too low in the RPM range. I also didn't power shift at all, but I'm currently working on it.. Anyway, here is a video of me riding at this place that has a few little sand tracks spread throughout the area. Before you watch, keep in mind that the GoPro doesn't pick up the depth of some bumps or whoops very well. Because on some parts, I'm having to slow down because of the roller type bumps that come up are pretty deep and because my head is staying primarily still while my body is moving, it looks like I'm on flat ground.

With that being said, could you guys watch this and tell me if you think I'm revving my bike hard enough and staying in the rights gears, or if I should hold it open longer etc.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8QlDOxY3Gg&context=C3fc27adADOEgsToPDskJvgT8cU3KJOBBpKtc3GZy9

it's hard to tell in helmet cam. It doesn't sound like you are lugging the bike to much. As long as the bike is pulling when you want it to and isn't bogging when you want to start acclerating out, then you are ok. Seems like you are short shifting (to third i think) on some of the shorter straits where you could probably stay in second. For the speed your riding your rpms sound ok. Next time you go to the track spend a little time over revving it coming out of corners. Figure out where your power starts to fall off high in the rpms. It seems like you have a lot of rpm at your disposal that aren't getting used. As you start getting faster, you will rev the bike out more as a result.

I cant really give advice but it does sound like you could be ringing it out a lot more... throw down the yammerhammer!

What I see is coming into the corner too slow and getting on the gas too early. You wanna go in quicker, use maintenance throttle at the beginning of the rut/corner and then hammer it on the way out. Every time you'd try to get on the throttle, you'd loose the rear and have to compensate too much. So on the next corner you'd go slower all of a sudden because it freaked you out. Finding the right engagement point on a cable clutch can be difficult, just watching you use the clutch and how you try to lay down power, but it just forces you to compensate in other places, that makes me believe you don't have that skill down yet.

So:

- More speed entering the corner

- More speed down the straights

- Gearing sounded OK, but you just weren't going quick enough for the gears you are in.

- Pin it, pin it, pin it! Just go off track and learn what the bike sounds like PINNED. Then remember that and try to do that on the track as well.

You'll figure it out one day. I remember it taking me a long time to figure out how to ride a 125, its not easy. I also had the benefit of having a hydraulic clutch, which is very handy because it makes finding the engagement point MUCH easier. :bonk:

You should be able to use that whole gearbox on that track. Get in the meat of the power and powershift through the gears. Brake later. and be on the gas SOONER. Good luck!

The thing I notice most is that you dont use the clutch much... it will def. help get the power to the ground out of the corner, esp in sand. Work on your throttle control a little as well, get in a higher gear and give it some gas. It sounds like you downshift before the sharper corners... this is not necessary, that motor will pull you out of the corner with the help of the clutch. The Yz will thank you later.

Gas longer

Brake later

Clutch more

Gas earlier and harder

Basically they are teling you to be more agressive. Hammer it down the straight and brake HARD. Squeeze the bike with weight back- push the bike into the ground with your feet and palms and then get into the turn and hammer it out.

Go find one turn you are comfortable blowing up. Not that you should blow it up that much but one you are confident making the turn and pratice this. The sound of the bike winding down...THAT is what you want to really listen for not the bike REVVING enough. WHY?? Because you want to make sure you don't hear it winding down as long as you do in the video.

Switch the emphasis. I want to be on it all the time. OFF very briefly for the turn then on again.

To brake later you need to smash them and be agressive. You will blow through some turns and drop the bike learning but this is what you have to do.

I put it in my mind when I was learning this that "hey I will have to invest in new plastics and levers after this but its an investment in learning.

You are well on your way. Good job man!

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 1

to me it looks like you are rolling in to far on some corners. the bike is more stable when you are accelerating than it is coasting through the corner. im not saying to lay it over and hold the thing wide open, but you at least want to be rolling some throttle back on to stabalize the bike and build momentum through the corner. i always have dumb tip overs or i pop out of my line when i get lazy and start coasting mid corner.