Sign in to follow this  

Cleaned the carb - Still won't idle w/ out choke!

I have an '01 DRZ400S, bone stock.

Bought the bike about 4 months ago, then proceeded to dislocate my elbow and so there it sat for quite a while (didnt put any fuel stabalizer in).

It started and idled fine with the choke out completely, but dies when the choke is pushed in half, or fully. I did some searching around here and saw that most people fixed similar problems by cleaning the carb, and specifically the pilot jet. So I did that, pulled the carb, gave it a good cleaning, made sure to spend extra time on the pilot jet, put it all back together and no change. It starts and idles with choke fully out, but thats it. I also made sure to dump the old gas and refill with fresh stuff...

I noticed that if I push the choke in and give it some gas at the same time, I can keep it running, but as soon as I let up on the throttle it dies. No idle (or very minimal, like 2 seconds).

One thing I should mention is that when I purchased, it ran fine. That same week I pulled off all the emission equip. and went to start it up but it wouldnt run at all. I realized that I needed a hose on the fuel tank breather. That seemed to help, but honestly it didnt run the same as it had been with all the emission crap on it. Before I had time to figure it all out I hurt my elbow. So the problem could possibly be something associated with the emissions stuff too? I really dont know. I thought the pilot jet would fix it, and now I am sort of stuck...considering just taking it to a shop, but would prefer to do it myself if possible.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas about what it could be/what my next steps should be?

Thanks!

Edited by cannonskate

Have you re-jetted from stock yet?

You can't pull the emissions and expect good result unless you also:

- un cork the intake and exhaust

- re-jet the carb

- adjust the fuel screw

- check for air leaks.

Your symptoms are air-leak related.

Have you re-jetted from stock yet?

You can't pull the emissions and expect good result

Everything is completely stock, no rejet.

By "emission" equip. I am only talking about the charcol vapor recovery canister (and its attatched hoses) on CA DRZ bikes.

Would that really cause problems?

Just noticed something else...

When I pop the choke in and rev it to keep it running, gas drips out of the bottom of the carb somewhere on the air filter side...I dont have the time right now to try and find exactly where its coming from, but obviously that is not right...

Your carb is corroded. The leaking gas means a corroded and or damaged float needle and seat.

That would explain the rest:

YOu need to clean out all the jets, inspect the needle jet and and seat, and polish out the needle cavity of any corrosion.

So I ended up taking it to the shop. They said it was a leaking float. Seems to run fine now.

Noticed I am having some tank venting issues though. Basically, after driving it for about 20 minutes, it dies (like its running out of gas, which it is). I open the tank cap and can hear air get sucked in right away, and then it starts right back up no problem. Any ideas? I have a breather tube coming off the nipple on the bottom of the gas tank thats about 8inches long and it just goes under the seat...all CA charcoal canister stuff is pulled off.

I was under the impression the the gas tank cap doesnt have any kind of breather stuff on it, am I wrong? Could it be as simple as replacing the cap?

So I ended up taking it to the shop. They said it was a leaking float. Seems to run fine now.

Noticed I am having some tank venting issues though. Basically, after driving it for about 20 minutes, it dies (like its running out of gas, which it is). I open the tank cap and can hear air get sucked in right away, and then it starts right back up no problem. Any ideas? I have a breather tube coming off the nipple on the bottom of the gas tank thats about 8inches long and it just goes under the seat...all CA charcoal canister stuff is pulled off.

I was under the impression the the gas tank cap doesnt have any kind of breather stuff on it, am I wrong? Could it be as simple as replacing the cap?

Oops, forgot I didnt post this in the DRZ specific section...nevermind about that last part...unless of course anyone has an ideas!