Sign in to follow this  

Crank seal Q's

Hi, ive noticed my kdx smoking a bit the last couple of rides and its going through gear box oil too so id say its the crank seal leaking. Since the bikes running good atm and atf is cheap is there any negative affects of just running it rather than having to pull the whole motor down?

Edited by ChompersNZ

Minus well fix it just to be safe, if i'm not mistaken I heard somewhere that you don't need to split the cases to replace kdx seals.

The bane of 2 strokes, main seals. Fixing the seal is recommended. Leaking seals result in the motor running lean. Not good to run a motor lean.

Ok, I thought you had to spilt the cases. Can anyone give a yes or no to if a 95+ kdx has to have the cases spilt to do the crank seals?

well either way you need to replace em, or you could end up in my situation. Crazy bad seize that requires a new top end and i still have to replace seals anyway. You don't want anything getting sucked into the top end.

I believe that you have to split the cases. Failing main bearings also kill the seals, so best to replace the bearings, too.

If you wish to keep running it until the season is over, you should be ok if you keep checking the tranny oil level. But do so at your own risk.

I looked at the schematic for a 96 KDX200 and the seals get pulled and installed from inside the crank cases. In other words, you install the seal and then you install the main bearings. Sorry but you need to split the cases. I am almost certain that if your seal is letting oil get past it the it is also letting the clutch friction material and other contaminents get past it as well. I think you will smoke your clutch side main bearing if you don't fix it.

Yes, you definitely have to split the cases. If the main seals are leaking, chances are the bearings are bad anyway. Change the seals and the bearings.

and dont fudge up the new seal when you put the cases back together... or youll be splitting the cases and pulling bearings again. gotta love them kawasakis :bonk::lol:

Having the seals press from inside is just kawi's way of saying "Hey Dummy, if you're replacing the seals, replace the bearings too!". Makes sense to me. :bonk:

i fixed a JR 50 with seals that installed from the outside. Wouldn't start, the seal had popped out under the flywheel....

Maybe putting them in from the inside isn't such a bad idea.

Sounds like the engine is coming out! Why when the bearings in the gearbox swim around in the gear oil does a little leaking through wreck the main bearing?

Kinda crap timing being in the middle fo trail ride season over here.

It's not that the seal makes the bearing go bad, except for the LH main seal leak possibly causing a lean condition. Normally the bearings get excessive play first, then the seals begin to leak.