Sign in to follow this  

converting steel frame to aluminum frame

Was thinking about updating my 04 yz 250 to the newer frame and was wondering if it was possible to swap out 04 componets to the newer 05-12 frame ?

• Like 1

Yes it's possible, though from personal expirence it's cheaper and easier to just sell and buy a later model rather than swap.

Was thinking about updating my 04 yz 250 to the newer frame and was wondering if it was possible to swap out 04 componets to the newer 05-12 frame ?

Yes sir.... BRM did that project few years ago adapting the alum-frame to his 2001 model YZ250.

im in the process of doing that now. I believe you will need the newer linkage, swingarm bolt, and to shave your steering stops. ebay is your friend when it comes to these parts.

Keep the steel, it's better! Just swap to newer suspension.

Steel is a pain to recoat every year and they are not as presise in the steering department. I love the ali frame.

• Like 1

recoat? I went aluminum and went right back to steel, I dont want to ever own another aluminum framed bike

recoat? I went aluminum and went right back to steel, I dont want to ever own another aluminum framed bike

Ah Mr. KTM Blaah, we know you're always different hehe. I still take the word of BRM for it :bonk:

Now please, in case you reply back to me, kindly stop infusing any word about how good the KTM chassis is PLEASE....

recoat?

Yes yearly painting/powder coating etc. That is if you actually ride the bike some what.

Ah Mr. KTM Blaah, we know you're always different hehe. I still take the word of BRM for it :bonk:

Now please, in case you reply back to me, kindly stop infusing any word about how good the KTM chassis is PLEASE....

what the hell your just trolling I don't ride a ktm right now and I own steel frame Yamaha

I have never done a recoat and my bikes are rode every weekend

Edited by MrBlahh
  • Like 1

It really comes down to personal preference. I can tell you without any doubt that my 2010 is a better bike overall than my 2002. However, there are things the 2002 does better than the 2010.

For most riders the aluminum frame only has two differences that they will ever notice:

1) It looks better because there's no paint to wear off/chip/scratch, etc.

2) It weighs about 4 pounds less.

Some guys like the compliance of the steel frame... some guys like the precise feel of the aluminum. Some guys can't even tell.

I race both and like them both. It's really not as big a deal... your money would be far better spent on upgrading to '06-'12 suspension than on a frame.

• Like 1