Sign in to follow this  

A big damn mess

Ok so I bought a 2006 yz125 off craigslist. The clutch was stiff but besides that everything was fine and the guy said he never touched the engine. So I ride it a little and the clutch stays stiff. So I take apart the clutch and find the basket is notched, the plates have been sanded and are very worn, and the wrong &%$#@!ing springs are in there. . So I need to get a new basket and clutch plates, and need to figure out why the clutch is stiff. I was going to sand the basket and get a clutch but it's just a big &%$#@! because I still need to buy a neckbrace and a trailer hitch to ride. I'm so &%$#@!ing &%$#@!ed. I need advice.

Sanding down will just cause slop. You need a new basket, hub, clutch/springs. The cable is probably shot to hell too?

Sounds like you're going to have to take priority on what to spend money on and keep saving.

I'd prioritize the clutch over a neckbrace, they aren't a requirement like a helmet and boots are. Look into the Tusk clutch kit from rocky mountain they're only $40 for all the plates and springs, then pick up an OEM basket, you shouldn't need the inner hub.

This isnt what you wanna hear being on a budget but this all sounds minor for buying a used race bike. You will have to spend some money getting it up to par and the clutch isnt a bad place to be. Save up and do it right, you will be happier in the long run.

I'd prioritize the clutch over a neckbrace, they aren't a requirement like a helmet and boots are. Look into the Tusk clutch kit from rocky mountain they're only $40 for all the plates and springs, then pick up an OEM basket, you shouldn't need the inner hub.

I said hub to be safe, but I suppose on a strict budge the hub could be used again?

The 06 is a great bike, and if the clutch basket and plates are all you need this may actually be getting off fairly easy depending on how much you paid. These are normal wear parts. You should probably also redo the top end or at least inspect it. You never know how the last owner cared for it, and the parts are so cheap.

A good aftermarket hardcoated or steel basket is worth every penny. Post up some pics so we can see the extent of the wear. Scuffing up steels that have been glazed is no big deal. As long as they are FLAT and the frictions arnt burnt you may be able to use them again. I would caution against cheap chineese engine parts. KG Clutch fatory is the OEM manufacturer of all clutches foreign and domestic (OEM) and are the best quality you can get, while still cheaper than many aftermarket kits.

I would bet the incorrect springs and or cable are the reason for the "stiffness".

In my opinion you should never skimp on safety gear for any reason. Bikes can be fixed, your body parts sometimes are never right again...

givien the halfassedity of the clutch, I would budget a top end asap too. a piston is cheap compared to a grenaded case.....and a piston.

If the clutch basket isn't too notched, you could just sand the notches out close enough and see how that works, but just get some cheap clutch plates and a motion pro cable. If this doesn't work it could very well be your clutch push-rod which is a case-split problem, but the part is only about $70 (personal exprience working on a friends bike)