01-XR250, basic suspension / mods help.

Just got 2001 xr250, and would like to know how to set the suspension up to my weight. Im about 147 pounds with light gear on. And it barely even squats when I get on.

Bike is bone stock, im starting some mods as well, like the airbox snorkel, aftermarket exhaust (any suggestions) re-jet? New plug, oil, possibly some Fasst Bars ( wrist issues) any experience with those bars?

And Im taking it to the shop to have the valves done.

Any other maintenance or mods to recommend?

Check out the How To section"Tuning Your Suspension-Where to Start? " and check out http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2007/11/maintaining-your-front-suspension.html to see what a fork job entails. Check out the suspension companies websites for tips, RT, MB1, etc...

Do lots of research here and try it. What is the worst that can happen? Yeah yeah ok the worst can be pretty bad but you won't do that. I think the number one bit of advice posted has been "get a manual" they are available online free (there are links in this forum).

All the things you have planned are great starting points that will let you know a baseline for your bike you can work from. There are some things you may need to pay to have done but many more you can do yourself. If it has been done it is most likely written up here.

The stock 250 suspension should be about right for your weight. Adjust the spring preload on the rear shock to provide 3 1/2" to 4" of sag with you on the bike. Play with the clickers on the shock and the rebound clicker on the forks until you are satisfied with the handling. If you can't get the suspension to suit you, the best money you will ever spend on the 250 is to get the suspension professionally revalved/resprung to your needs. As already mentioned, get a service manual and start reading, what you learn will make maintaining your bike a snap. Don't waste your money on an aftermarket exhaust, unless the engine is modified the stock exhaust with the insert removed is difficult to improve on. If you remove the exhaust baffle and the intake restrictor, you will have to rejet, a good starting point is a 135 main and a 48 pilot. When you remove the spark plug, be SURE to blow out the plug well with compressed air to remove the accumulated crud. If you remove the plug without doing this, the crud wil fall into the cylinder and will likely cause damage to the cylinder wall, piston and rings.

Great, thanks guys! I messed with the dampening and rebound clickers on the rear shock, and turned them out 4 clicks frkm Whatever they were, I need to get out and play with it a bit.

the honda shop I went to recommended I change the ahock pre-load myself as well. Basically I just take a punch and knock that top ring above the spring free and adjust it upward, then tighten the bottom ring against it, correct? I took a look at the forks but didn't see where I could adjust them, I see a smal flat blade screw below the handlebars on the top of each fork, but they just screw out with no adjustment?

Thanks for the tip on the exhaust, I would like to get a pro-circuit eventually, for performance and the main reason being the weight savings! Id like to shave as much weight as possible.on this pig since im so damn light!

Any recommendations on oil viscosity? I have to bottles of honda gold GN4 10w-40, no moly, right now.

I really want some Fasst bars as my pinned left wrist doesn't bend further back than 45 degrees anymore and gets uncomfortable on long hardcore rides :/

You are correct about adjusting the shock spring. There is a compression adjuster on the bottom of each fork tube covered by a rubber cap, pop off the cap for access. The Honda 10-40 is OK, I prefer 20-50 for warm weather, just make sure that the oil you use is rated JASO MA for wet clutch engines.

ok, I softened thr pre-load on the rear spring, where's a good place to measure my sag height? This thing definitely squats a few inches when I climb on now:) I read I should measure from the rear axle vertical, to a point on the bike.... but wjeres the best/easiest to get a measurement?

Also how do I set the pre-load for the forks? I know where the clickers are, and read something about adding shims/washers to soften up the front. But am unsure where these go.

Measure the rear sag between the axle bolt and the seat retaining bolt. Considering your weight, I wouldn't think that fork spring preload would be necessary. If you do add preload, it is done by installing a PVC spacer between the spring and fork cap. Start with a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer. Do you have a service manual? If not, I highly recommend that you get one and start reading.

Thanks for the quick response:) Will do on the service manual, and I'll measure those distances tonight with my gear on.

Im still playing with the compression and rebound clicker settings, I need to ride it, right now im just bouncing my skinny butt gettin a feel for it. Im thinking about having the compression on the softer side, and keeping the rebound about midway as I hit some pretty rough trails.