Swingarm issue - JB to the rescue!

So there we were, doing a nice batch of winter maintenance on our DRZs. We pull apart my buddy Warren's rear pivot and while cleaning out the bearings notice the drive side bearing is a bit mashed. Strange.

Anyway, once we look into the bearing housing we are shocked to find the chain has worn right through the slider and dug deep into the swingarm! Yikes! Not sure how we missed this before, but damn glad we found it before it wore it's way into the bearing!

After pulling it off the bike, we decided that it was worth giving the old JB weld a try, since it hadn't eaten through the main support structure or into the bearing housing.

Here is the first application:

swingarm%2520-jb-5.JPG

We taped up the inside to prevent the JB weld from seeping too deeply into the housing.

So after letting it cure all night, here is what we have:

swingarm%2520-jb-cured-2.JPG

It will take a little grinding, but looking good.

Here's the front view after curing:

swingarm%2520-jb-cured-3.JPG

One more coat of JB should fill it up completely, and then a light grind to smooth it out and clear the excess from the inside. Then a new slider, and an increased awareness of this problem!

So what do y'all think? Is this going to do the trick? We expect to keep a close eye on it to make sure it holds, but I think since it's not into the main support portion of the pivot that much,it should be fine.

• Like 1

So the work continues...

We applied a second coat of JB Weld to the outside of the swingarm:

swingarm-jb-after-2.JPG

This will require some filing:

swingarm-jb-after-4.JPG

Now to file down the inside:

5.JPG

The thing that looks like a tongue is actually a piece of tape to cover the bearings from the dust. I did a double take when I first saw the pics though...

Here is what the side bearing looked like when we pulled it out and cleaned it off:

swingarm%2520side%2520bearing%25201.JPG

And the other side:

swingarm%2520side%2520bearing%25202.JPG

Now we are just waiting for the slider and new side bearings to arrive so we can put it all back together. More pics to come.

doing my winter maintenance I found all the rollers were missing from the swingarm "side bearings". No damage to anything that isn't being replaced anyway but damn.. I may be the first person (second owner) to grease the swingarm bearings on this 2005 drz!