Sign in to follow this  

'09 KLX450r vs '11 KX250f

Looking at some real differences between the two bkes,

I know EFI, gear ratio, and weight right off the bat, and softer suspension

When looking for a bike last year, I really wanted to get a KLX450r I settled for a KX250 w/ EFI and the SFF, due to I had a trade in and availabilty.

I have installed some protection pieces and a graphics to the KX no real mods .

I called to have quote on revalve of suspension and rekluse clutch installed in my KX ...which I'm going to try and get in this week or next.

I ran across a left over model KLX450r for 09 actualy contemplated going back in years but kind of thinking I would be silly, and probably have to pay out of my pocket to make the deal happen....assuming .... but also thought maybe I could remove my hand guards, disc cover, skid plate, case saver and put on the KLX.... heck if the plastics would swap rad shrouds, front fender I could have most of the graphics too, lol..

Looking for insight of the KLX riders ..

Just depends on what you want the bike for? I ride very tight single track and have come to the decision to strictly use the KLX for DS duties. It can get the job done, but I'm still building experience and it can be a total handful in tight stuff. If you want a bike for tight stuff I'd stick with the 250. Just my opinion....I'm sure you'll hear differing ones.

I know at least the rediator shrouds are not the same and I'm pretty sure the skid plate will not fit either. Though my dad has a ricochet plate on his and it seems somewhat universal as a far as the mounting...guess I'm not sure on that one.

The klx450r is an excellent woods bike as all the power is down low. Not much top end in stock form but loves to be short shifted. The suspension is way soft for anyone wearing big boys pants. I installed a core exp in the old mans scoot and he seems to love it. It is a heavy bike, compare to a 250F, but it carries the weight well. You could probably drop 10lbs just by changing to a different silencer...the stock one is huge :lol: , but super quiet :bonk:.

It really depends on your riding style, but the klx is a fun bike. Plus you gotta love the button :lol:

thanks greatly appreciated.

Figure if the its going to cost me @ least $800 ofp then I might as well put it into the '11 250 ..guessing the difference would be more.

I know there is plenty of power upgrades for the KX , but have been reading where the maintenance on the 450 (klx esp) is low compared to a 250...