Sign in to follow this  

getting ready to hit the track but not looking to overload my brain

i have read the ten riding tips posted here but if you could give me one or two tips to concentrate on what would they be. I have experience on a road bike, racing cars and karts, ill be riding an rmz250 at a local club track, not racing (until i learn some more). So to better my riding skills and enjoy this sport what can you give me to always keep in my head and then let the other aspects follow.

Thanks

I've done Autocross/roadracing plus lots of karting. Motocross is a whole different world, doesn't compare in the slightest to anything else. You can literally just drive to the track, unpack your bike and ride. No rules, no "safety meeting", heck you don't even have to ride on the track, popping off the track and back on the track is extremely common with motocross riders. So its a very different experience if your use to more "organized" events.

My biggest tip and everyone will say the same thing; hold your line and don't do anything unexpected. If there are other riders around you, take the lines they won't be taking, stay off the "racing" line if you can, especially if your not jumping stuff completely. Take your time, learn slowly and don't over-do it right away. I know how to ride and sometimes it takes me 2 - 3 visits at a particular track to dial it in enough to feel comfortable/confident, especially on the weekends when the track is busy. So don't think you've gotta jump everything and triple stuff on your first day out. Take it easy and have fun, which you probably will as its a blast.

Another thing is to hang out with other riders of your skill level. That will help you grow because they will tow you a long and hopefully communicate what your doing right and wrong.

get it in your head that the most important thing to learn is how to corner fast. i wish someone would of told me that. I was so worried about jumping that cornering took a back seat . I didn't realize how important it was until I tried racing. I get beat by guys that don't jump everything but corner like mad.

Go to the track on a week day when there arnt as many people there. Think about which lines are the fastest. Have fun if your having fun youll ride more. More time on the bike equalls a faster lap time usually. Gary ten tips are great things to practice.

Agree with what tye said. The most important thing when you're first starting and riding around other people is to hold your line and make sure that the fast guys don't have trouble getting around you. Start slow and don't hit any jumps that you don't feel comfortable hitting.

Hold your line, dont be intimidated by people passing. Section off the track and try repeating specific sections over and over until your comfortable with each area instead of doing lap after lap. Gradually you can incorporate more sections together to finally becoming comfortable with the entire track.