Sign in to follow this  

EXACT transmission configuration on KDX

My engine is in pieces..waiting for parts. Looking at the on-line fiche at RonAyers, I notice a thrust washer on the left end of the input shaft.

I do remember EXPECTING to find a washer there when I split my cases..but there wasn't one there. I'm not home at the moment to LOOK at it...but I'm pretty sure there was NO thrust washer at that spot.

What makes this curious is this:

1. A KX250 transmission (fiche) doesn't have a washer at that spot. So...there is NOT always one there. Yeah...different engines for sure, but I would expect one Kawi constant mesh trans to be basically the same as another.

I looked at '00 KDX and KX250 diagrams...not bikes years apart.

**edit**

I looked at a '00 KX125 transmission fiche. NO thrust washer there, either. I'd been told the KX125 is more closely related to the KDX than the KX250. Not arguing that point..but I find it curious that neither of the '00 KX 125/250 models show a thrust washer there.

**edit**

2. The KDX fiche shows one clip and NO thrust washers on the RH end of the OUTput shaft. I know for a FACT I took off TWO washers and TWO clips from that shaft. I tie-wrapped 'em together with the collar and bearing..labeled 'em with tape.

So...an instance where the published fiche is NOT correct (#2).

I'm wondering if it's not correct on the LH input shaft..where it shows a washer, but I don't have one.

Anyone with explicit, 'fer sure knowledge of the 'H' series KDX transmission and the existence or not of a washer at that position?

I'd sure appreciate learnin' about it.

Thanks!

Edited by canyncarvr

Well I just happen to have a set of H series cases with a transmission in it but no crank and the cases are cracked from the rod going out, Anyway I just went out to the shop and took them apart and YES there is a washer on the left end of the input shaft. I did not look at the out put shaft but can if you want.

I am going to Yerington Nv in the morning for one of those ride I took Skipro on a few years ago so if you want any info from me it has to be tonight or Monday.

Ed

Excellent, Ed!

I appreciate the look!

Sure seems odd to me that neither KX lists one there........

Gonna be dang cold in Yerington..........

Thanks!

Edited by canyncarvr

My KX's don't have a washer on the shaft like that KDX does.

Way warmer in Yerington than it is here..............and I NEED to go for a ride.

Ed

:bonk: It's there. Just got in from looking. Taped up to the shaft..noted 'WASHER INPUT SHAFT LH SIDE'.

That's why I mark things...so I don't have to REMEMBER 'em. Well...I did.and I didn't.

No reason I couldn't have waited 'til I checked the parts...to be sure. But...no. I had to go and get all excited about it.

I apologize, Ed...for the needless trip to your shop you took on my account. I owe you. At least some good laughs at my expense next Idaho ride.

I guess I'm not all growed up after all. Don't tell Steve. He'll just say, 'See! Told 'ya!! Worthless!!'

Edited by canyncarvr

LOL OK I won't tell Steve. Steve has had a year off riding, got his hip replaced and next month he is getting a hernia fixed.

No problem on my trip to the shop, kept me out of trouble for a few.

NONE of US are all growed up and I know I never will be.

Glad you have your trans figured out. You need that bike in GOOD shape I may want to ride it again LOL.

Ed

My engine is in pieces..waiting for parts. Looking at the on-line fiche at RonAyers, I notice a thrust washer on the left end of the input shaft.

I do remember EXPECTING to find a washer there when I split my cases..but there wasn't one there. I'm not home at the moment to LOOK at it...but I'm pretty sure there was NO thrust washer at that spot.

What makes this curious is this:

1. A KX250 transmission (fiche) doesn't have a washer at that spot. So...there is NOT always one there. Yeah...different engines for sure, but I would expect one Kawi constant mesh trans to be basically the same as another.

I looked at '00 KDX and KX250 diagrams...not bikes years apart.

**edit**

I looked at a '00 KX125 transmission fiche. NO thrust washer there, either. I'd been told the KX125 is more closely related to the KDX than the KX250. Not arguing that point..but I find it curious that neither of the '00 KX 125/250 models show a thrust washer there.

**edit**

2. The KDX fiche shows one clip and NO thrust washers on the RH end of the OUTput shaft. I know for a FACT I took off TWO washers and TWO clips from that shaft. I tie-wrapped 'em together with the collar and bearing..labeled 'em with tape.

So...an instance where the published fiche is NOT correct (#2).

I'm wondering if it's not correct on the LH input shaft..where it shows a washer, but I don't have one.

Anyone with explicit, 'fer sure knowledge of the 'H' series KDX transmission and the existence or not of a washer at that position?

I'd sure appreciate learnin' about it.

Thanks!

in the future when comparing models keep in mind that the kdx was redisingedd in 95 and remained the same till the end so comparing kx models should be done at the 1995 point even if yours is a 2000, but in reality there is not a whole lot to find in common