Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X Turn Signal, brake and horn wiring?

I'm working on sourcing parts to add turn signals, horn and brakelight to my 2006 CRF250x. I know there are kits for this, but I would prefer to piece it together, not for $$$ reason, manly to get the type of signals and brake lights that I want.

I have some question as to how to wire the turn signals, horn etc:

I will be purchasing the baja designs handlebar control switch, DRC led brakelight/running, led turn signals, flasher relay etc.

Where is a good place to draw power from? Head light wiring? Tail light?

Can this line power all the additional accessories?

One power lead into switch and then all switched power out to additional lights?

Any info you could provide would be appreciated. I know enough about electrical work to get me in trouble.

Thanks

I think your going to find that you need another stator. From what've I seen in previous posts, the stock stator is just enough for the front headlight and rear tail light and nothing more.

The owner's manual has a wiring diagram in the back which will help (at least my '09 manual does).

As far as where to draw power, I would play safe and run a line right back to the battery with an in-line fuse for any of the new stuff (horn and turn signals).

The rear light can probably stay what it's on since it's a LED setup and won't draw too much more when you hit the brakes.

Front headlight might be a different story. Check what the new hi/low headlight max draw is and then check the wire size going into it.

Hopefully someone else will post that has actually gone this route before and can offer a little more concrete advice.

Jim.

My bike is full DS and I have good electrical know how but I still bought a kit. I was able to use the stock stator w/stock headlight, stock tail light location (stock light was replaced with one that would function and running and brake light) and uber low profile turn signals. The whole kit is basically plug and play. Check out Dual Sport America on ebay, its the only way I would put a kit on this bike, period.