Sign in to follow this  

Revalving?

Hey guys recently changed the springs in my crf250r 2010 to suit my weight of 121 pounds. What i want to know is what is revalving, how do i do it, and what will it achieve

thanks lachie

revalving is changing the way oil flows through the valves in your suspension forks &shock ! to give you a idea a crf250r suspension would have the valving set from factory to perform better on motocross . and a crf250x would have valving setup from factory better suited for the woods . to revalve you would be changing the shim stack in suspension to achieve whatever you were looking for . Thats the basic's involved in a revalve . I send mine to pete payne , I want to ride my bike not keep changing shims .

thanks well i bought the bike second hand and he had the springs set up for a 190 pound rider, im not sure if he changed the valving. The were a few rings in the box that came with the springs, are those for revalving? do they sit on the spring guide?, i noticed that there was 1 on those metal rings in the fork on top of a brown ring siting on the spring guide.

Does the ring pretty much look like a very thin washer? If so, then these are shims and they are used to alter the flow through the ports on the pistons in the forks/shock.

An easy way to tell if the suspension has been revalved is to, when you have it apart, see if the peening is still present on the base valve stem and on the mid valve stem. If someone has filed it down, then it may likely have had a revalve...or a very in depth rebuild.

If it is sprung for a 190 lb rider, then you will see a big difference in having it resprung for your weight.

I would change out the springs first for your weight before you even touch the valving. The springs are far more weight dependent than the valving.