Sign in to follow this  

my fellow xl500's :)

Hello all just registered with this website cause it is AWESSOMEE and figure i would show off my new toy :bonk:.

my 1981 xl500s was sittin for years and just needed some fresh gas and oil and started the first kick wahooo! look forward to fixin her up more and riding the piss outta her ehehe

here is a link to my youtube video of her

ride safe.

chance

Are those bars really that narrow and high or is that just a distortion from the camera ???

Looks to be a pretty straight up machine..Beats me how Americans seem to keep these older bikes just laying about in almost pristine condition frame/body wise..If that sort of thing still existed down here it'd be a butchered version by now..Sounds ok engine wise apart from that bit of blue smoke..Wouldn't sweat that too much myself...Bars are kinda ape hangerish..We used to run T500 Suzuki bars on them back in the day..Makes you feel like "Nichols" if you're old enough to remember that TV show .Still have a set in the garage I took off the 82 before I sold it,,No way is anyone getting them,,T5s are super comfy on older XL/XR and top for wheelies,,Not so good for the track but what the hell,,We're cruisin..

Edited by Horri

Thanks for Replies guys i am about to put some some better oil i'n her how much do theese old bikes take exactly and what's the best oil I'f y'all know thanks a million and not sure I'f th

Dunno off hand,,We deal in litres down here,,Warm the bike up for 5 minutes then drop the old stuff into a 2 litre plastic icecream container then put the drain plug back in and start with 1.5 litres..Then warm her up for 5 minutes and check the dipstick. Between half and full is good. Dipstick is not screwed home to check the oil..Recommendations,,Shell 20/50 ,,Dino.,,Keep it changed every 1500ks or so and the thing should last till you're 40..

Edited by Horri

Thanks for Replies guys i am about to put some some better oil i'n her how much do theese old bikes take exactly and what's the best oil I'f y'all know thanks a million and not sure I'f th

I think it would be a good idea to try and find a decent service manual. Honda is ideal but a Clymer would do. I'm SURE you will find one on EBAY as a last resort.

yea i need to get a manual but i am going riding tommorow on some trails n what not so im just gonna wing it and start with 1.3 quarts and see where that takes me cant wait to see how the ol girl works in the field! should be a blast! yahoooo =) my buds gonna be on his 84 cr250 prolly leavin me in the dust ahaha