Sign in to follow this  

2004 rmz,kx250f problems

when i start my bike it is pukeing oil out of the breather tube and it seems im getting a little coolant in the oil. when i say pukeing i mean 6oz to 8oz..... any idea what could cause this? i was thinking it was over full of oil but when i check it wasnt even to the sight glass....i put 1/2 quart back in it just to get it back up to the lower mark on the sight glass....after it warms up it dont do this... also i got coolant in the oil. im wondering if this is all one big problem or 2 seperate problems... is the coolant getting in the oil through the head gasket or could the water pump seal be leaking? other than these problems it seems to run great but maybe the compression might be low as well . it starts right up and runs great so i figured i would run it till it dies then get a big bore kit. lol . all ideas on what ould be wrng will be greatly appreciated.

if coolant is leaking into the crank with your oil it could cause oil pressure

do u have to keep toping up the coolant?

what color is your oil when u change it?

if its greyish or whitish then coolant leak

check your oil lines that drain back down to the crank if they get blocked. it would act like a bath tub with a bad drain, the head will fill up with oil and cause it to go out the breather line

if coolant is leaking into the crank with your oil it could cause oil pressure

do u have to keep toping up the coolant?

what color is your oil when u change it?

if its greyish or whitish then coolant leak

check your oil lines that drain back down to the crank if they get blocked. it would act like a bath tub with a bad drain, the head will fill up with oil and cause it to go out the breather line

the oil seems to be a little greyish and yes i have to keep topping off the coolant .... were are the oil lines located?

i think your oil pressure goes &%$#@!ed when the bike is started because of the leakin the coolant but once the head gets warm the steel expaneds and blocks the leak or just slows it down time for a rebuild

Thats a yamaha. Kawis/Zooks dont have oil lines. Either the water pump seal or the head gasket as you stated. You could probably try a compression test hot and cold to see if its the head gasket and go from there.

Edited by Joshx221

If you have air bubbles in your radiator with the cap off you have a blown head gasket, which will also cause a whitest smoke from the exhaust, smelling kinda sweet. Start the bike cold, pull the cap look for bubbles. Or pull the spark plug and see if you have coolant on the piston. The water seal is also a possibility. Seals wearing out is common on these bikes from what i hear. I have the exact same bike, and guess whose bike did both a blown head gasket and bad pump seals at the same time, lol. I'm gonna lean toward the bad water pump seal because off the amount of stuff your purging, if you had that bad of a leak in the head gasket, you'd blow enough white smoke to tell you in an alarming fashion your head gasket is blown, provided the bike would even start (mine stopped starting when i had a severe head gasket leak, and no oil purge, all the coolant ended up in my header). Mine puked a ton of oil from the bad pump seals, but still started ok. Start there, then worry about the head. the pump seals, case cover gasket, and pump shaft are like a $30 fix if you do it yourself, but you will have to press the pump shaft from a spur gear if the pump shaft needs replacing, but if you have a friendly mechanic, they might do it for free and it takes 2 minutes. Either one really isn't a hard fix to do yourself, just take you time. I also recommend downloading the 2004 kx250f manual if you haven't already, walks you through removing the water pump and gives you and idea what to look for. Get on it and get back to riding! Best of luck on the repair!

im not getting any white smoke. actually it dont smoke at all. thats what really messes me up. i would think if it was bad rings causing the low compression it would smoke a little atleast or wouldnt start and run so easy....

were do i get one of these manuals?