Sign in to follow this  

new plastics - right rear side, does it need heat resistant inner liner?

the title sums it up.. I'm swapping out my plastics on a 2005 DRZ400s and the new (well, lightly used) right side cover panel doesn't have that metallic insulation material on the inside between the plastic and the exhaust.. I'm running a Yoshi exhaust, 3x3 mod, and it's jetted.. The can gets hot but not crazy hot so I'm not really that concerned about the heat melting away the plastic from normal riding.. But I do involuntarily lay the bike on it's side fairly often.. Sometimes the bike stays on it's side for a while depending on how far away from the bike I ended up in those moments of rapid deceleration..

I have about a half inch clearance between the can and the plastic in the narrowest area.. Should I find some of that insulation material to stick to the inside of the plastic around the can, and if so what's a good cheap source for that stuff?

Edited by alcontrast

i am waiting on my new side cover and was planning on removing old insulation it seems like it will peel off and reapplying to new side cover with spray adhesive just a thought

the title sums it up.. I'm swapping out my plastics on a 2005 DRZ400s and the new (well, lightly used) right side cover panel doesn't have that metallic insulation material on the inside between the plastic and the exhaust.. I'm running a Yoshi exhaust, 3x3 mod, and it's jetted.. The can gets hot but not crazy hot so I'm not really that concerned about the heat melting away the plastic from normal riding.. But I do involuntarily lay the bike on it's side fairly often.. Sometimes the bike stays on it's side for a while depending on how far away from the bike I ended up in those moments of rapid deceleration..

I have about a half inch clearance between the can and the plastic in the narrowest area.. Should I find some of that insulation material to stick to the inside of the plastic around the can, and if so what's a good cheap source for that stuff?

I have used the insulation style duct tape with good results... About 8 bucks a roll.