Sign in to follow this  

Another flatbed trailer post

So I just picked up another trailer project to work on. I needed something a little bigger than my previous 7x8 tilt bed. This frame originally came from a small travel trailer (or so I'm told) and has a deck measurement of 7.5 by 12. Wondering what others would do to this if it were in their driveway. Currently has good tread and springs, but I'll definitely check out the bearings and either repack or replace them. The fender boxes are now removed and the frame is at a trailer manufacturer getting straightened and reinforced (previously bent from too much weight on the rear). I've got it wired up with LED lights, too.

Once it is back from the shop, I'll weld on some side rails and add a new floor. What are your thought on making the front portion into a side-load configuration and adding chocks for 3 bikes on the rear? In order to do this, I'll need a mild lift to get the tires under the deck. Shouldn't take much, but just thought that I'd throw that in there. My truck sits a little taller than most, so added lift on the trailer would allow me to run a standard draw bar, instead of a drop.

trailer.jpg

got it back from the shop today. They did a fantastic job straightening the one bent rail and reinforcing it. The other side appears to have a slight droop (about 1.5in), so we tried to level them out with the forklift applying pressure to the newly reinforced side. It wouldn't budge a bit. I'll need to look into strapping down the weak side, bend it up a little, and add some side rails and 2x6's for reinforcement. Shouldn't be too bad.

I noticed that this axle has electric brakes on it, but I've never used them before. Anyone think it would be necessary if I'm just hauling a few bikes around? I'm getting it ready for our yearly trip to Moab because its my turn to drive. Will have up to four bikes, plus my little Yammy atv, and camp gear.

If i had that trailer I would remove all the rust I could and paint it then probably ad a deck of some kind and also build a set of sides for it. I wouldn't put anything too big on it. That is definitely a pop up or small camper frame. Looks like a nice trailer frame to start with. Well once you have that trailer furnished with a floor and sidewalls if want them it'll probably be at least 600 lbs. Then 4 bikes is atleast 900lbs or so and depending on the atv another 400lbs-500lbs or more. Plus at least another 100lbs of camp gear if you pack light. So your looking at atleast a ton once it's loaded. If you have a brake controller in your tow vehicle the electric brakes would be nice, extra stopping power never hurt anyone. Brakes are required over 3500lbs gross. I'm not sure what your trailers gross weight is rated at. If it retains the gwr from the factory you'll probably need the brakes to be working to be legal, since they usually don't put brakes on campers that don't require them.

Some vehicles require breaks on a trailer over 1000lbs. I don't know what your tow vehicle is so I don't know what your manual suggests.

The tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 4wd (5.9L), so towing isn't a problem. I'm rated for 7000 lbs. I do know that the frame was originally from a 1970's travel trailer, and according to the trailer shop that did my frame straightening, the axle is original (so are the brakes). He didn't know if anyone made parts for it anymore. If I hang onto the trailer for any length of time, I'll probably look into getting them working or replaced with working units.

Those prices are pretty good. I'll have to check the size of the spindle on the trailer and see if they stock my size. If so, I could install both sides and a decent controller for under $200. Thanks for the link!

For a few bikes breaks are not necessary, but would save the truck breaks over time. Also come in handy if in snow or other slippery conditions. A break controller is cheap insurance, the truck should be wired for it already.