Sign in to follow this  

Tongue Extension

I am thinking of extending the tongue on the front of my trailer to haul maybe two bikes. I have an 18 foot Fleetwood (dual axle). Anyone have experience with this? I have seen some trailers that are built like this from the factory but I don't know if this sort of thing is even feasible.....?

Thanks,

Rob

I mean the impact would be reduced with a weight distributing system but you'd have to get a pretty heavy duty one i would think. That's another 450lbs of tongue weight at least. Your tongue weight would probably be over the 10-15% of gross that's recommended. Maybe you could pack all your stuff in the back of the camper to help balance it out too. I believe people have put a single bike where the propane tanks usually sit but I haven't seen someone put two on yet.

• Like 1

I mean the impact would be reduced with a weight distributing system but you'd have to get a pretty heavy duty one i would think. That's another 450lbs of tongue weight at least. Your tongue weight would probably be over the 10-15% of gross that's recommended. Maybe you could pack all your stuff in the back of the camper to help balance it out too. I believe people have put a single bike where the propane tanks usually sit but I haven't seen someone put two on yet.

10% tongue weight is the minimum rule of thumb to prevent the trailer wagging the truck.

As long as your truck/hitch/tires are capable of handling the weight, it's not that big of an issue to exceed the 10-15% rule, as long as you stay within the specs of both the GWR of the trailer, truck, rear axle of the truck, etc.