Sign in to follow this  

Oil question

I have always used Amsoil in my 300. 10/30. Make sure it is for motorcycles since it contains modifiers for the clutch. I also use it in my atv's. Go Green :bonk:

Edited by Colorado Kid

I started putting Castrol Syntec 10W40 in my KLX300 (bought new in 1999) after a sufficient breakin period. Only last year after putting a big bore kit in my bike did I switch to motorcycle specific synthetic oil. With all the friction modifiers being added to oils today I was probably lucky in the fact my clutch did not have any issues. I am surprised you have not received numerous responses as this subject generally solicits a lot of response and suggestions as to what you should do. I am a synthetic user on all my equipment because I believe you get better lubrication in engines that get abused on a regular basis. Proper weights generally adds another dimension to the conversation but I am now using 20W50 per my kit builders recommendation. Bottom line is you should be OK if you use a good brand of oil and stay within the manufacturers recommendations for weights.

As has been said already, be carefull about which synthetic oil you use. The friction modifiers that they can contain can cause the clutch to slip. Blends made for motorcycles are fine.

The other option is to just use non synthetic oils and change them out sooner.......

Ride on

Brewster

A synthetic blend oil is part synthetic and part dino oil, full synthetic is better, and a full synthetic ester based oil is the best. Just remember that some synthetic blend oils contain only a small amount of synthetic oil. Always use a motorcycle specific oil.

Thanks for the comments. I didn't want this thread to be a "Which oil is best" type thread, there are plenty of those floating around. Just wanted some thoughts on synthetic blends. Sounds like semi/full synth is OK as long as it's made for bikes.

FOR THE MONEY...it's hard to beat something like Rotella 5w40. With shared-sump, wet-clutch, dirt-riding thumpers, true lab-sourced Synthetic oils are hard to get any measurable benefit from, as these are relatively dirty engines and are hard on oil. I change the oil frequently rather than try to squeeze extra miles out of relatively expensive oils.