Sign in to follow this  

2003 YZ 250 Fork Switch?

Anyone know if you can switch out the steering stem to accommodate new suspension? maybe just the triple clamps? I know the 03 fork tubes are 46mm and I'm pretty sure the newer ones are 48mm. and I'm sure the frame would propose some obstacles. Anyone tried it? any luck?

I swapped '08 YZ250f forks onto my '03 YZ265-WR. I used the '03 stem pressed into the '08 triple clamps. I prefer the earlier front brake so I used the '03 caliper mounted to the '08 caliper mount along with the '08 brake hose. I 'think' that I also used the '08 axle and spacers; you might have to make some adjustments here - I just don't remember the exact combination. I have been working on the valving for the SSS forks and I'm getting really close to a good stack for tight, rocky single track for a 170 lb 'B' rider. Note that the '05 forks valved by Jeff Slavens on my '08 YZ290F-WR (long story!!!) are still better than any SSS fork that I have riden. Many say that the '05 forks are no good but don't believe it - a good tuner can make them excellent for the woods. Lastly, note that the '03 steel frame rides a little softer in the rocks than my '05 aluminum frame YZ285-WR (but gee, I should not have sold that bike!). Some riders prefer the steel frame bikes to the newer aluminum frame bikes. I just find them a little different on some sections of trail - I would buy either.