Help me choose a Tire for my DRZ400SM

Hey everyone, I am at 2800km's on my DRZ400SM and my rear tyre is looking a bit low...

Not sure where to begin, do any of the tyres on http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com fit my tard?

Still running original tyres, front is fine but rear is getting a little worn.

Never had to change a road bike tyre before, can it be done easily with tyre irons or am i better off just taking the tyre and wheel to the dealer?

What size fits the drz?

I am confused on what size to get and if they will fit...probably sounds dumb, but i don't want to buy a tyre from the states and have it not fit

• Like 1

Tyre selection really depends on what type of riding you will be doing...

Michelin Pillot power is a good tyre choice for general scratching....as is Brighty's Sportecs

I found Dunlop GPR A 12 tyres to be very sticky, but don't last as long as the P/Power's..http://championsride...d,131/vmcchk,1/

120/70 17 Front and 150/60 17 Rear gives a good handling combination..

• Like 1

I got a set of Shinko tires from motorcyclesuperstore, they are sticky and very firm, I was running them low at 5psi and didn't notice until I checked with a gauge. Gives me some confidence in case I get a flat at speed.

Installing radials on the 17" rims is a lot harder than installing knobbies on larger wheels, it helps if you let them warm up under the sun for a couple of hours..

Really depends what type of riding you want to do. I ride 90/10 street dirt, on the DRZ I have ran the stock D208's, Distanzia's, and Pilot Powers. This is my sumo tire experience.

D208's catch a lot of flack, not a lot of good things said about this tire. I ran them hard right to the edge and was actually pretty happy with them. Took the bike all kinds of places off road and surprised myself at what a bike can do with sport tires.

Distanzia's are pretty highly recomended. I was less than impressed with them, they stick good on road but I didnt really like the tire profile. Off road I didnt find they were much better than the D208's even though they have a more off road tread. I prefer the profile of a sport tire so the slight off road benifit of the Distanzia's was just not worth it for me.

Pilot Power's are another highly recomended tire. I have used this tire a lot on sport bikes so I am kind of biased towards this tire. I really like the Pilot Power, love the profile, sticks to the road great, and works reasonably well off road for non knobby (comparable to the D208). I have heard of Pilot Powers rubbing holes in tubes though because the inside of the tire has a rough surface. I havent personaly had this problem yet but we'll see.

I think my next tire will be a Bridgestone BT003, should be very similar to the Pilot Power without the tube issue.

Well at the moment, my main riding is commuting to and from work...dam christmas hail storm of 2011 wrote off my car!

But that said, its not really a commute. Its still try and get my knee down and the peg's scraping!

Not really interested in taking the tard offroad, got the YZ for that.

So i guess a tyre thats good on road, if its also not to bad on the some gravel/dirt roads that would be a bonus too. Found the stock tyre fine for it though, long as your only going straight and give yourself plenty of room to brake.

I put a set of Shinko 003s on mine because I'm basically cheep and I thought they looked cool, it looks like little firecrackers all over them, and discovered they handle pretty good and stick like crazy. I'm not racing on them but they seem to work good on the street.

I loved the Conti force sm tires. Cheap and had great traction. The centre wore down on the rear pretty badly. I got 8500km on them. I commute daily on it. I just installed pilot power 2ct (160 rear, no chain rub) and so far I like them. Anything is better than the Dunlop 208

When I bought mine it was fitted with a new set of Dunlop Arrowmax's (120/70 & 140/70). I persevered with them until they were worn out, but what a crap tyre! Poor grip in the dry, horrendous in the wet.

Mine's only an E model with K&N and a JD Jet kit so it's not pushing out much power, but enough to make it step out every time it was pushed hard. Riding with mates on WR and KTM 450's meant it was getting worked hard all the time (although it was still possible to hold them at bay).

But then...

I fitted Pilot Powers (120/70 & 150/60). Awesome! I have to push it ridiculously hard while leant right over to make it step out now. I can get my kneedown on it now too which is funny because my DRZ is so tall my other foot doesn't even reach the peg. The best thing is it will now do rolling stoppies with ease - before it would just lock up as soon as you hit the brake. Love the Pilot Powers!

Whats the best size tyre to put on? 160's, 170's or the stock 150 size? Don't want chain rub...

You dont want to go with too wide a tire, the wider they are the heavier they are and thats not good when you already dont have enough power. Plus the tire starts to have to squeeze too much to fit the rim which screws up the tire profile in a negative way.

Stock is 140 but there are very limited choices in this size, like Craigo said 150 is best.

Have to agree, the 150/60 is great.

I'm sure a 160 would fit in there (much more room than on a WR450 swingarm) and may even give you grip leant right over, but I think the 150 is the way to go.

I know the price of tyres in the U.S is cheap compared to the rip off prices we pay here in Australia....

Unfortunately the shipping costs usually outweigh the financial advantage of purchasing from the States..

Moty , pick the people you use for the tyre replacement . If they dont offer free fitting and balancing go elsewhere ! If you dont ask it can cost a lot more ! , greg