Thumb Throttles

Has anyone ever seen a thumb throttle on a dirt bike? What are your thoughts on this? Just curious being that some quad guys are switching over to bikes these days.

Why would you ever even want to do such a thing? I rode a quad wishing it was a twist throttle.

When I ride my brothers quad I wish it had a twist throttle.

I find when I don’t have my thumb wrapped around the throttle tube I have a weaker grip and just feels uncomfortable. Why don’t you ride your friend’s bike and see if you actually like it before investing any money into it?

I have seen it mutliple times at harescrambles, The one person was an pro quad racer riding bikes in a local series so it could just be a comfort thing.

Why do quads, especially sport quads, use thumb throttles?

on a motocross track a twist throttle isn't bad on a quad but in real rocky trails, its easier to get bumped around and get whiskey throttle. I have riddin quads with both and prefer the thumb throttle even though it is annoying and i mainly ride bikes.

Edited by yamazuki20

I ride/own both and for me, the twist throttle is more natural (in general) but for a quad, when you are turning and weighting your body side-to-side it becomes very awkward with a twist. It's kinda hard to turn the throttle because your wrist is already bent at an extreme angle. So you can compensate for it with a thumb throttle and still be able to push it in with control. On a bike, since the bike leans with you, you never really get into a position where turning the throttle is weird. It just flows so much better.

• Like 1

If you think you will like it, go for it. It might make you a better rider and you will have more fun. If you don't like it, or there is something akward about it, put the throttle tube back on.

It's all about you man, don't worry about us schmucks!

• Like 1

I ride/own both and for me, the twist throttle is more natural (in general) but for a quad, when you are turning and weighting your body side-to-side it becomes very awkward with a twist. It's kinda hard to turn the throttle because your wrist is already bent at an extreme angle. So you can compensate for it with a thumb throttle and still be able to push it in with control. On a bike, since the bike leans with you, you never really get into a position where turning the throttle is weird. It just flows so much better.

People don't talk if you don't know, he is totally right its even a safety issue, a twist throttle in an ATV can even be actuated when leaning to turn, thats why they don't use or recommend those in ATV's however if someone feels comfortable, it can be used in a dirt bike, with no problems

all snowmobiles have thumb throttle.

Welllll....not just a little thumb throttle like on a quad, but a full flipper that is actuated with the cup of the hand between thumb and pointer finger.

But sleds are often held at WOT for many seconds at a time.

And they are big and heavy.

And should use them in cold weather so big thick gloves.

So. Really. Nothing similar here.

Thanks CooHead...awesome post.

:bonk:

Coo

• Like 1

A thumb throttle assumes a sit down riding style. Not good.
You must have never ridden a stand up jet ski, they all have thumb throttles or maybe a trigger, never a twist, so your comment in invalid. Edited by MNkayaker

I can't believe this thread exists right now, as I'm working on a friends 2000 cr250 that was "raced with quads" and has a thumb throttle, along with a head light, rear view mirrors, blinkers, and all kinds of gay shit! I actually rode the bike a couple months ago and it was "neat" to ride a 2 stroke with a thumb throttle but I'd never in a million years switch, but to the guy that started this thread...it is all about YOUR preference but it's important to keep in mind some of the points that have been made regarding body/hand position on quads vs. bikes. I would definitely suggest finding a bike with one and trying it out before diving into that one.

If you would like any pics of my friends bike with thumb throttle it's down in the garage, so just lemme know!

Edited by BlackCR25098

Well my thoughts are if your interested in doing it go ahead and do it. If you don't like it you can return to the twist throttle. People switch quads from a thumb to a twist throttle all the time so there's no reason why you can't do the opposite? I've ridden quads and don't really mind a thumb throttle but I'm not completely in love with it either. My thumb starts to hurt because I'm not used to it. I'm happy with a twist throttle and will probably never attempt something like your doing? The things that I find nice about them is it's a lot easier and faster to go from idle to WOT which is nice on snow mobiles and it's not as awkward shifting from side to side on a quad using a thumb throttle.

You must have never ridden a stand up jet ski, they all have thumb throttles or maybe a trigger, never a twist, so your comment in invalid.

EEEEeeeK! Water maggots! :bonk:

Now that you mention it. I haven't ridden one of those things in years/decades.

I do mow my lawn and plow my ice race track (where you been?? ) with an ATV. I do stand up on it to plow at times. I just can't imagine something with the acceleration profile of a motocross bike working well with a thumb throttle. All of the things that have them don't require as delicate throttle adjustments. But maybe there are guys with a lot more thumb throttle hours than I have who can second nature something like that. I just can't imagine how long it would take me to be to effectively ride motocross bike in most venues using a thumb throttle.

I can drive a boat with a foot or hand throttle. But I wouldn't want to drive a powerful car or truck with a hand throttle in a demanding enviornment. I have driven a Model T with one. But they are anything but powerful.

I guess I'm trying to make a vehicle/venue/power profile argument.