Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 Issues... Where to start?

So I recently started a thread In which I told everyone the details on how my bikes were stollen, wrecked and then recovered. My problem now however is the KDX that was stollen is not running. It has spark, compression and it's getting fuel. The only thing that seems wrong is the transmition. It won't go into neutral unless I take the clutch basket out...???? Could there be any corrilation between the bike not running and this tranny problem? Any advice would be great. I just don't even know where to start with something like this. :bonk:

How much compression? Does it try to turn the back wheel when you try to turn it over? Does the gear selector work, or does the motor only turn when you take the inner basket out, or the outer basket? The inner basket connects the outer basket to the transmission. The outer basket gear meshes with the crankshaft gear and idler and kickstart gear and nothing else.

If the gearshift won't work, it may be a minor external (under the clutch basket) fix, or major inner issue (shift forks, shift drum, gears).

If you can only kick it it with the inner basket removed, it's a transmission problem, probably broken parts inside.

If you can only turn the crank (by hand, obvoiusly) with the outer basket removed, then check for broken teeth on the basket, idler, or kick gear.

compression is about 165, the gear selector shifts through all the gears, the bike does kick over with the clutches in but it won't go into neutral with them in. If i put the bike in 5th gear it kicks over without moving the bike too much (obviously with the clutch pulled in), the idler gear and all the bearings are intact, right side case is perfect, no cracks. Even if it is the transmision, it should still start right? If it has compression, fuel, air and spark... I'm no superstar mechanic... But that makes boom right?

When you say inner and outer basket... By inner do you mean the clutches themselves? And outer the entire basket?

compression is about 165, the gear selector shifts through all the gears, the bike does kick over with the clutches in but it won't go into neutral with them in. If i put the bike in 5th gear it kicks over without moving the bike too much (obviously with the clutch pulled in), the idler gear and all the bearings are intact, right side case is perfect, no cracks. Even if it is the transmision, it should still start right? If it has compression, fuel, air and spark... I'm no superstar mechanic... But that makes boom right?

Not if the timing is off - could the flywheel be out of position? But before you check the flywheel, pull the plug and just squirt some fuel directly into the cylinder, replace the plug (with a new one or one you know is good -sometimes a bad plug will fire outside the cyl, but not under compression) and see if it at least farts - if so, the timing is probably OK, if not, check the flywheel.

Edited by SPUTTER

So I just pulled the head and the cylinder is fried! Have you ever heard of a bike producing normal compression and still being blown up? So I think I have two issues. The blown top end... and then I think there is something wrong with the countershaft or at least something that conects directly to it. Looking more like it's time to scrap it out. Any other advice would be great, thanks for all your help.

If it shifts through the gears, the tranny is probably OK. It is probably a minor fix if you just can't find neutral, like the shift shaft may be bent a bit.

The cylinder would not make compression if it is "fried" As long as you didn't pour oil in it to test compression, it may be black and sooty, but sounds like it is still good. The only way for it to be bad would be deep marks on the cylinder, or a hole in the piston.

Post up pics so we can see if the cylinder is bad. A piston kit with gaskets is 135 on fleabay.

• Like 1

Turns out it was a number of things. The cylinder needed to be replated, shift fork was just jammed... I have no clue how that happened, and the crank bearings were on their way out so i'm replacing them. I'm pretty sure that between all this, the bike should be brand new when I'm done. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by klxchrisE

Well it's good that it all worked out. I would be so mad if some azzholes stole and wrecked my bikes. I'd hunt em down if i couldn't get the bikes running again.

• Like 1

Good to hear you got it sorted! When you mentioned scrap it i had a mini shit fit lol,with the cost of another bike i believe in the spend some time and get it sorted option, after all 2 strokes are never to complicated even if you have to slit them open it's worth it imo :thumbsup:

I have every thing put back together all I have to do is wait for the cylinder now. I ride MX more then I do woods but if i had to do this to my 09 crf.... I think I might kill myself. What I'm getting at is yes, two strokes are so easy!

So I just pulled the head and the cylinder is fried! Have you ever heard of a bike producing normal compression and still being blown up? So I think I have two issues. The blown top end... and then I think there is something wrong with the countershaft or at least something that conects directly to it. Looking more like it's time to scrap it out. Any other advice would be great, thanks for all your help.

Mine did this. it was fried near the bottom. so compression was great except at the bottom of the stroke thats where it was blowing by.