XR650L 2nd and 5th gear swap results after one year

I just wanted to chime in and let everybody know that after a year of driving and this mod is by far one of my top 3 must do mods. First a little history on the mod itself. First part of this mod consists of changing the 2nd gear pushing the 2nd gear ratio slightly closer to that of the 1st gear which in turn slightly increases the gap between the 2nd and the 3rd gear. This part of the the gear swap mod creates a smoother transition between 1st and 2nd gear as well as making the bike pull harder at low speeds. I also found that when downshifting there's much less clunk when going from 2rd through neutral than in 1st.

The second part of this mod and the best part IMO, consists of changing the 5th gear ratio so that you push the ratio even further away from the 4th gear essentially making it more of an overdrive gear. What this allows is your now able to put a 14T front / 49T rear sprockets which awakens this beast enormously in the trails in 1st to 4th gears BUT with the 5th gear mod it allows you to maintain descent engine RPM at highway speeds.

I was very hesitant to completely disassemble my engine because I had absolutely no reason to. It took me about 6 to 8 hours because I took the time to thoroughly clean all the mating surfaces and inspect and spec all the main components for allowable wear. I cannot be happier with this mod and I am so glad to have done it. For those that have the mechanical ability and know how to do this themselves or have a great friend who does, I highly recommend this mod!!!

More info here on the gear mod including ratios and gear part numbers.

(Note) The 5th gear can be difficult in North America to acquire but can be had in Europe or used on ebay.

Edited by D0T-C0M
  • Like 1

Cool, I'm still waiting for a opportunity for me to get a 5th gear somehow.

I got a whole 95 NX650 transmission from Germany off ebay. It had both gears that I needed

Edited by D0T-C0M

I have the NX 2nd gear in now,used it for 2 years,,,works great,,i have the fifth coming back from florida with my retired folks that i bought a few months back.........with that in and all the new performance engine work,it should be interesting this spring :bonk:

I plan on sticking with 14/45 gearing..but could go higher in the rear........

Does a larger 48 tooth rear cause any issues with the rear chain guide????????

B

My bike had a 48 tooth rear on it when I bought it, no idea how long it had been on there, but my rear chain guide was gone at 6000 miles on the bike. I replaced it with a homemade one from a chunk of UHMW, it is lots tougher than the stock rubber it should live a long long time.

e01d9c4c.jpg

Edited by XR650LANE

Not a bad idea........my question now is does the OE chain quide hit the larger arround sprocket,,no interference issues.i know alot of people put on a 48,,but no one actually said it fit without clearance iussues..

B

The sprocket didn't hit it but it does lower your chain in relation to the wear surface of the guide because of the larger diameter of the sprocket.

I have the NX 2nd gear in now,used it for 2 years,,,works great,,i have the fifth coming back from florida with my retired folks that i bought a few months back.........with that in and all the new performance engine work,it should be interesting this spring :bonk:

I plan on sticking with 14/45 gearing..but could go higher in the rear........

Does a larger 48 tooth rear cause any issues with the rear chain guide????????

B

I only have the side parts of the rear cain guide. I lost the 2 bolts that hold the bottom piece (or they broke) like 5000km ago and I figure I don't really need it if it hasn't cause me a problem thus far. I run a 49T.

Edited by D0T-C0M