Sign in to follow this  

California Out of state 2007+ EXC's 50 state legal?

A friend is looking for a plated dirt bike so he has started looking at 2007+ 450EXC's but there is very little available in CA for less than $6K. Are out of state EXC's also 50-state compliant so he can just buy out of state no problem?

We did find a plated 2007 XC-W in his price range, but that isn't possible technically correct?

Thanks!

I beleive a 2007 XC-W was not factory street leagal. That is a different game bringing it into CA than a 50-states EXC.

Short story -- I would not mess with it to save $1,000 or so. You could get one thru DMV or get screwed with a bike you can never get registered in CA. It can come down to a clerk at DMV having a bad day and you get screwed.

I got my CA plated 07 ECX for $5,000 with only 30 hours on it. I have seen plated older EXC for as low as $3,500. The plate adds value to the bike but most are over prices. You just have to keep looking and jump on a good deal as soon as it is listed.

I believe the '07 525 exc was the last year it was Ca street legal, not sure about the 450.

How about an '08 530 for $5500? pm if interested.

Thanks Bajataxi - His budget is more like $4k which is the problem.

The '07 XC-W is already CA plated and a good price for even unplated XC-W's. He decided not to even take a chance though so we'll just have to keep an eye out.

I just picked that # out of the air, being greedy.

Looked up the NADA value and it's only $4035....don't think I'd let it go that cheap, even if she doesn't get much attention these days.

I beleive a 2007 XC-W was not factory street leagal. That is a different game bringing it into CA than a 50-states EXC.

Short story -- I would not mess with it to save $1,000 or so. You could get one thru DMV or get screwed with a bike you can never get registered in CA. It can come down to a clerk at DMV having a bad day and you get screwed.

I got my CA plated 07 ECX for $5,000 with only 30 hours on it. I have seen plated older EXC for as low as $3,500. The plate adds value to the bike but most are over prices. You just have to keep looking and jump on a good deal as soon as it is listed.

I did a search on Searchtempest.com with the search "KTM Plated". There is a 2007 XCW with CA plates for $4K. A 2008 450 EXCR for $5K obo.Try searchtempest, somoneone here told me about it and it rocks.

Keep an eye out for older Beta's too.... ( '09 and earlier ) they use KTM RFS EXC-W motors. I'm thinking of selling mine to make room for a new street bike. Mine is CA plated with lots of aftermarket stuff, 2,000 miles. I'll make you a deal.