Sign in to follow this  

Should I keep the KLX?

Looking for some guidance,

I needed a plated bike for some riding I wanted to do (enduros, turkey runs, and my local woods riding), so rather then convert my KLX i picked up a plated ktm250xc-w (for a great deal)

Now I essentially have 2 of the same bike, and a dilemma. I joined up to a local MX track and want to do some casual track riding (maybe some racing) and want a bike more oriented for track use.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to convert my KLX to a MX bike, or should i sell it and buy a used MX bike.

how much money is involved in the conversion?

- suspension re-valve/re-spring

- e start delete

- speedo & headlight delete

- kx airbox ?

- kx header (already have the silencer)

- maybe kx cams and head???

I know my KLX has been taken care of , i just dont want to sell it for next to nothing and pick up a clapped out mx bike that i have to throw money at anyways. Any ideas or input is welcomed! thanks

Would be much cheaper to plate yer KLX and track ride the katoom. The KLX is too beefy for serious moto. It is a fantastic bike but at the end of the day....pigs don't fly.

Not much really. Suspention will set you back the most depending what you need.Springs and revalve.E-start and light will be cheap as chips as you are removing things but i guess you will need to plug the starter hole with something but i cant think that would be too much, and a front plate.Header will be cheap if you can find a second hand one.i wouldnt change the air box (subframe) i would just cut open the stock one and remove the overflow bottle and change the rear sproket.

This all depends on if you want to be the fastest on the track or just race am stuff weather you change to a kx head. i dont see the point if your not pro.

so what you will be left with is an 07 kx450 wider ratio gearing,18 inch rear,SS exhaust vaulves.bigger tank, wider seat.

But to be honest KTM for Mx will work out cheaper staight off and in the long run

the ktm has a large gas tank, flywheel weight, wide ratio tranny, suspension done for woods riding, steering stabilizer ect.. and I already have it registered. so im not converting that to a track bike.

think im gonna sell the klx and pick up a kx450 ;(

its sad, i wish i could keep every bike i've owned!

Well......for those of you that remember, I was SUPPOSED to lose my KLX to the bank. But alas, they've not contacted me. Lawyer says "they've got your address, it's on them" I'm afraid to call them, that they'll say "oh, yeah" and snatch it. They have the right to it at any time in the future he says. But if for some reason it's "mine", then I'm kicking myself in the ass for selling off all the good sh!t to you guys!!!

Anyway, back on topic, I still have it and use it as a spare. I have an 04 GG EC300 for the woods that is actually alot more fun. I do moto the KLX though.

I resprung it for my weight a couple years ago. That helped a bunch for moto. Got rid of a lot of the 'wobble'. I would do that first. You can do that yourself. There's some other things you could do to shed a little weight.

Point is, for "some casual track riding (maybe some racing)", that maybe good enough for you. I'd try that before going all out.

That being said, personnally, I'd prefer a stock 250F for "some casual track riding some casual track riding (maybe some racing)" myself.

If I could just lose that last 40#. :bonk:

Edited by mxphlipper

the ktm has a large gas tank, flywheel weight, wide ratio tranny, suspension done for woods riding, steering stabilizer ect.. and I already have it registered. so im not converting that to a track bike.

think im gonna sell the klx and pick up a kx450 ;(

its sad, i wish i could keep every bike i've owned!

Sorry didnt know the ktm was set up like that i wouldnt convert it either.

Also there is is a thread on here where someone converted thier klx to mx with a run down on weight reduction but sorry cant find it for the life of me.

Edited by pantera66

Hey bud, I've been riding pachaug all winter and I only have the ATV plate. As long as there is no road riding [crossing okay] it's good but I know for the NETRA races, you need road legal. Keep it if you can........see you out there!

• Like 1

keep the KLX, get a smoker for the track, a MX bike of some sorts.

Hey bud, I've been riding pachaug all winter and I only have the ATV plate. As long as there is no road riding [crossing okay] it's good but I know for the NETRA races, you need road legal. Keep it if you can........see you out there!

keep the KLX, get a smoker for the track, a MX bike of some sorts.

The question was: is it feasible to convert the klx to a MXer, or should i just sell it it buy an MXer

I have a KTM250xc-w, i have it registered/insured. I like it a lot and it is my woods bike that i am keeping.

I have come to terms that it will cost to much money to have the KLX worthy for the track, so im just going to sell it and take that money and buy a dedicated MX bike that i will hopefully not have to throw a ton of money at

The question was: is it feasible to convert the klx to a MXer, or should i just sell it it buy an MXer

I have a KTM250xc-w, i have it registered/insured. I like it a lot and it is my woods bike that i am keeping.

I have come to terms that it will cost to much money to have the KLX worthy for the track, so im just going to sell it and take that money and buy a dedicated MX bike that i will hopefully not have to throw a ton of money at

I agree with you. Sell the KLX...it flies like a pig

• Like 1

I agree with you. Sell the KLX...it flies like a pig

what smoker did you get for the track?

I see 2005-2006 kx250's on craigslist for around $2000.

what smoker did you get for the track?

I see 2005-2006 kx250's on craigslist for around $2000.

I've gotta 94 YZ250 with a 96 WR250 motor in it, and a 98 CR250...the CR is setup for supercross style tracks, the WR for more WORCS style tracks. I'd like to get a new Husaberg 300 for offroad and a TM for the track, but it's not like they will make me much faster...a lot lighter in the pocket though.

I've gotta CRF250R for arenacross, but I haven't done that in awhile, too far to drive. Need to sell that thing. My KLX is kind of an enigma to me...it's a portly pig, but I've learned to make it go. I'm sure I'm fastest on it, because it's my fastest bike. It's also plated, quiet, and it's given great service to me. Last year was tough on it though...the sparkplug enduro found it down a bank, wrapped around a tree, the 12hr race destroyed the rear hub(amazing story), I bent the lower frame tube real good, and exploded a carbon fiber skidplate when I landed on a rock over a big double and the suspension couldn't keep me off the ground, then the timing chain tensioner went to hell on me a couple months back. No major damage, rebuild commencing this week. I'm keepin my big green pig for a dual sport...tryin to keep it out of the woods this year.

Edited by Slackkinhard

I've gotta 94 YZ250 with a 96 WR250 motor in it, and a 98 CR250...the CR is setup for supercross style tracks, the WR for more WORCS style tracks. I'd like to get a new Husaberg 300 for offroad and a TM for the track, but it's not like they will make me much faster...a lot lighter in the pocket though.

Just bought an "03 TM 250E....wanna make it a woods weapon....I'm stoked!!!

• Like 1

sold the bike.

this forum has been a helpful tool for modding my bike and figuring issues out!

loved the bike and as with everything i sell, she will be missed