Sign in to follow this  

KTM SM wheels on DRZ issues

Just bought a set of ktm SM wheels for my 02' DRZ400E and got some custom spacers made as per the diagrams posted on here. Rear wheel mounted up fine as it should, but im having problems with the rear brake rubbing. I spread them, sprayed down with brake cleaner, lubricated it. It rolls fine until I reset/pump the brake, but it still wont return enough to let the wheel roll freely. I know the ktm rotor is thicker but that shouldn't effect it.

With the front, I used the exact measurements for spacers, but the tire just barely rubs on the plastic piece that holds the fork boot. I don't think that will effect anything but figured I would ask some opinions. Ill try post some pics a little bit later.

Thanks!

IMAG0146.jpg

Is it this tight on the other side also?

It seems that maybe the location of the rotor to the center of the wheel is not the same as the DRZ. I would recheck the stock DRZ wheels to the KTM wheels for the rotor location as related to the center line of the wheel. Your rear wheel issue is probably related to a similar variation... I just went through all of this on my SM when I changed wheels...

No its not that tight on the other side. Checked with warp nine and the spacing is different with the hub, pretty close to selling these and finding some drz specifics. Just wasnt patient enough.

Is it this tight on the other side also?

It seems that maybe the location of the rotor to the center of the wheel is not the same as the DRZ. I would recheck the stock DRZ wheels to the KTM wheels for the rotor location as related to the center line of the wheel. Your rear wheel issue is probably related to a similar variation... I just went through all of this on my SM when I changed wheels...

Verify the brake disc is centered in the caliper. If not, correct with wheel spacers. Then correct rim off-set by adjusting the spokes to center the wheel. Simple fixes, no need to give up.

Have you resolved the rear brake problem?

If the wheel is not centered and you have some room on the other side, you can adjust the spokes to offset the wheel just a bit to center it and will be good.

Good call on re-dishing the wheel, no clue why i didnt think of that! I have checked the spacing on both front and rear rotors and they are both withing the limits of the caliper. like i was saying, the wheels roll fine with the pads spread but when pumped back up they rub, not horribly but its noticable when pushing the bike along.

A certain amount of brake drag is normal. Perhaps have someone local take a look and see if it is in the normal range of drag. May be the floating caliper pins need some lubrication. Not the pad retaining pins, the ones the caliper floats on.