Thinkin of switchin to a 2012 KTM 250sx

Hey guys. Currently own a 2008 CRF 450 in mint shape with 27 hours and some other goodies. Anyway I have it up for sale with the intention of purchasing a 2012 KTM 250SX 2stroke. I mainly ride trails and pits, with the intention of getting back onto a track when possible this year.

I have a couple people interested in taking the bike off my hands (I'm in Canada)

Has anyone made the switch? I've owned a couple 2001 KX 250's and have always had fun on them, but my 08 is honestly a good bike.

Reason I am thinking of switching back is because of the low maintenance costs. Couple friends have ran into a few problems with there 4T's and set them back a couple grand.

Edited by Shawn_Mc
Dancing the line of a forsale ad

I rode some of the 2012's at the KTM demo day in Marysville about a week and a half ago. To give some of my background, I rode 250 2-strokes from '91 to '08, though there were a couple times I took a year or two off. In early '09 I bought an '04 CRF450R and just loved the thing. I've never been a fan of making bikes scream, so the low-end and mid-range really agreed with me, buuuuuuuut I'll always love the 250 2-stroke. So, back to the KTM demo day...it was a little muddy and they ran about 15% of the course on their mx track and the rest was a pretty fun/rough off-road course. The 250 XC-W gobbles up the off-road stuff like nobody's business, I would seriously consider that bike for any type of trail/enduro/hare scramble type of riding. The 250 SX was good, but the 250 XC-W was night and day better, and I'm not the type who notices small to moderate differences in bike setup. There's one thing about the KTM's that is nearly a deal breaker for me, they all felt like big fat pigs in the front end. Everything else; motor, suspension, clutch, brakes, layout, and fit/finish, were completely tolerable. But the front end...feels like maybe it has too much rake, or rides too high, or...?? it really killed the nimble feeling that the Japanese bikes have, to me anyway. For some reason it bothered me less on the XC-W, maybe it was because I was overwhelmed at how that big buttery couch just floated through the chop like a boss. If I were looking to buy a new 250 2-stroke, no question I'd buy the YZ for motocross. If money weren't really an issue and I wanted a trail bike, I'd possibly go with the KTM 250 or 300 XC-W. Hope this helps a little, have fun with whatever you end up on!

Edited by corndog

I have a 2009 crf450r and a 2007 cr250r that I use for MX. I bought the 2 stroke to practice on so I wouldn't burn out my 450. What ended up happening was I started taking my 250 to the races and I realized that I wasn't much different on either bike. I did switch between moto's too. This just goes to prove that it's not the bike it's the rider. However when I'm tired the 450 is easier to ride quicker just by turning the throttle. Bottom line is this: Do you need a 450 or will a 2 stroke be enough?

Hey guys. Currently own a 2008 CRF 450 in mint shape with 27 hours and some other goodies. Anyway I have it up for sale with the intention of purchasing a 2012 KTM 250SX 2stroke. I mainly ride trails and pits, with the intention of getting back onto a track when possible this year.

I have a couple people interested in taking the bike off my hands (I'm in Canada)

Has anyone made the switch? I've owned a couple 2001 KX 250's and have always had fun on them, but my 08 is honestly a good bike.

Reason I am thinking of switching back is because of the low maintenance costs. Couple friends have ran into a few problems with there 4T's and set them back a couple grand.

If your going to be riding trails and gravel pits, get the XC. The SX is great but the added value of a 6 speed and electric start and being able to put lights on is hard to beat seeing how the XC is only a $1000 more then a SX. They hold there value better then the SX also. Its hard to beat a 450 in certain areas but the 2t can be super fun. Just to squash any doubt about the XCs "not for mx suspension", it's the exact same stuff as the SX just valved softer. Depending on your weight and speed, you might have to change the suspension anyways so it won't matter. Though stock for stock, the XC will be pusher between trees and the SX will work better on the track. If I was just strictly racing, I would buy a SX over the XC in a heartbeat but because I race, train, play ride, explore, etc etc the XC just works better.

There"s a few guys that I ride with who made the switch and i'm the only one remaining with my CRF450. Everyone else has switched to either the KTM 250 or 300 XC-W and they love them. We mainly ride the woods here in Mid ohio and now its seems like they dont have many issues with them. Have fun!

ktm is taking over. off-road rider buffet, they have variety. 250 2t with a magic button, hmmmm. love my '08 450, but a '01 250r in a crf250 chassis, ya! love honda and besides,"you meet the nicest people on a honda". :bonk:

ktm is taking over. off-road rider buffet, they have variety. 250 2t with a magic button, hmmmm. love my '08 450, but a '01 250r in a crf250 chassis, ya! love honda and besides,"you meet the nicest people on a honda".?

Why are you worried about cost of parts for a 450, - when you are going to drop ~$4k on a bike assuming you got around ~3k for the CRF? $4,000 could completely rebuild a CRF450 engine (new crank, new piston, new cylinder, new head) 4 times - and that's basically a catostrophic engine failure each time. Hell, $4k could get you at least two complete new engines for it.

If you want a new bike and want to switch to a two-stroke, that's cool, but don't try to hide it under the guise of "saving maintenace costs" when you're going to be dropping close to 4-Grand on the new bike!

I'm in no way attacking you - I actually like the newer KTMs, but you're just lying to yourself if you think you'll end up somehow saving money.

Edited by Lead Head

Why are you worried about cost of parts for a 450, - when you are going to drop ~$4k on a bike assuming you got around ~3k for the CRF? $4,000 could completely rebuild a CRF450 engine (new crank, new piston, new cylinder, new head) 4 times - and that's basically a catostrophic engine failure each time. Hell, $4k could get you at least two complete new engines for it.

If you want a new bike and want to switch to a two-stroke, that's cool, but don't try to hide it under the guise of "saving maintenace costs" when you're going to be dropping close to 4-Grand on the new bike!

I'm in no way attacking you - I actually like the newer KTMs, but you're just lying to yourself if you think you'll end up somehow saving money.

I sold it for 4500. The bike was in brand new condition with lots of extras. (I am in Canada)

It's not really about spending an extra couple grand, I just want to switch it up and see how that goes. So far though, my 08 450 was the best bike I've owned. Maybe I will regret it - but I guess that's just the way she goes.

You sold the best bike you ever owned in brand new condition?

You were concerned about having to fork out a couple grand for repairs like your friends, but don't mind spending a couple grand extra?

Please rename this thread to "I'm bored with this toy and want a new one, what do you think?"

I think you should just go buy what you want. If you want to know what it's like to go from a crf450 to a 250sx, you should check in with the folks in the ktm 2t forum.

• Like 1

You sold the best bike you ever owned in brand new condition?

You were concerned about having to fork out a couple grand for repairs like your friends, but don't mind spending a couple grand extra?

Please rename this thread to "I'm bored with this toy and want a new one, what do you think?"

I think you should just go buy what you want. If you want to know what it's like to go from a crf450 to a 250sx, you should check in with the folks in the ktm 2t forum.

Yep, I did. Wasn't bored at all, I just like having new toys. I might even end up with a 2012 CRF 450 - who knows? I got good money for it, that's the main reason I sold it.

I was more worried about getting raped on labour if anything went wrong. I've rebuilt two strokes before. My 4 stroke knowledge isn't so well.

The only reason 4-strokes cost so much to rebuild is because of ignorance of how easy it is to rebuild them.

The only extra cost potentially during a rebuild is valves and springs - and you can get those for just $160 - IF they need to be replaced. The only specialty tool you need is a valve-spring compressor, which you can rent at any auto-parts store and again that is only IF you need the valves replaced.

As long as the valves aren't ruined, the only extra task of doing a top end on a 4-stroke (at least a Honda) over a 2-stroke is sliding a chain over two sprockets that are aligned to two marks. Valve issues have been pretty much eliminated on the 07+ Honda 450s anyways, so the likelyness of having to touch the head is low.

Edited by Lead Head