Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on Cam and piston choices

I have an 06 CRF250X that is basicaly stock other than jetting, A/P, air box and baffle mods. Looking to replace the piston and cam for more power. I'm thinking either an 05R or a stage 1 Hot Cam. As for the piston I'm thinking either a OEM 08R or a JE or Wiseco Hi Comp. I mostly ride the tight stuff in the Sierras. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Edited by keviwa

I just rode my ASRacing ported and polished 250X with 08R cam and piston and it's AMAZING. More low end, revs longer/quicker. Can easily ride a gear higher with ease sections where before I had to fan the clutch to keep it pulling. (I had a HotCam before) Paul at ASR can nearly match the earlier X head intake port to the 07/08 R intake port (size and shape) polising of the exhaust port and combustion chamber looks like CHROME. Kibblewhite intakes, springs, seals, keepers, valve job and port polish was so cheap I'm afraid to say how little it cost for fear he'll see this and realize he didn't charge me enough.

ST O.D.

• Like 1

I have a 2004 purchased new. I had the head rebuilt 2 years ago & retained the stock cams. I installed a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston w/ rings.

There is a good improvement thru the entire power band. I ride in Colorado & Utah at elevations from 5,000 - 12,000+ ft.

I highly recommend a hi-comp piston.

13.5 is a lot of compressions for slow trail riding. It may get hot. At higher elevation, you can get away with it.

The JE pistons are a work of art. A slightly higher comp ratio does help.

A stock R cam does a lot for these bikes, and they are available all over.

i ran a JE piston with a stage 1 hot cam, stock cam, and a 05 r cam in my 05x.

I liked the 05 cam the best and ran it for a few seasons. The hot cam just seemed to sign off too early in the rpm range. the 05 r had a nice mid range pull to it with out falling on its face in the upper rpms. this was all using either stock x head pipe or an x style aftermarket longer head pipe.

I pulled the hot cam out when i got a strange noise at idle. Turned out the decompressor weight hole wore out and was causing the noise..... :bonk:

Never had a problem running 91 pump gas, never had any overheating problems with slower single track. well no overheating problems that wouldnt overheat most bikes.

Im using an 08r cam now but so much has changed on the bike it would be hard to compair it to your situation. :lol:

Try a 450x if all else fails!

DUH!, Ya think so?

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

DUH!, Ya think so?

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

Crf 330x would do most folks perfectly(KTM?), By the time you spend money for all the mods,you could probably sell it and buy a stock 450. A big bore kit would probably help in tight stuff(more torque).

Crf 330x would do most folks perfectly(KTM?), By the time you spend money for all the mods,you could probably sell it and buy a stock 450. A big bore kit would probably help in tight stuff(more torque).

I have tried several brands of 450s and they tier me out too quickly. I am 5'11 and weigh 160. I am much faster and way less tired after a full day of riding when on the 250. Granted most 450s are set up for heavier riders than me but they seem heavy and I cant toss them around like I do on my 250. I would like to try KTMs new 350. For now I'll stay with the 250 and go with a HC piston and better grind cam. Sorry if I was condecending on my previous post - it just seemed to me that going to a 450 was an obvious option.

Edited by keviwa

Wasn't being condescending, was just being my smarta$$ self. My 450 is too much at times for me , my buddies 250 doesn't get it done(adrenaline wise) at times. I wish Honda made a 330-350 was my only point!

Wasn't being condescending, was just being my smarta$$ self. My 450 is too much at times for me , my buddies 250 doesn't get it done(adrenaline wise) at times. I wish Honda made a 330-350 was my only point!

Yeah, I think there are a lot of us that have been waiting for a CRF350X for years now. If KTM can make nitch bikes that sell like hotcakes why cant Honda?

Best bang for the buck: Athena 280 kit. It's a terrific $700 investment (especially at your height & weight, where the stock suspension is nearly perfect). You'll need to re-jet the carb and probably add an aftermarket silencer. If you're looking for more power across all RPM ranges without sacrificing reliability, the 280 kit is the way to go.

One thing to note: the motor will feel "tight" the first couple of hours after installation. Once the new cylinder & piston settles into position, re-torque all mounting bolts. The improvement is instantaneous.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at tweaking the engine for some extra umph. I have all the cc mods done except the pink wire which I don't plan on doing and I have a FMF Q4 exhaust installed. My bike is a 2005 model. From what I'm reading alot of guys are running the hot cam stage 1 although I'm seeing alot of positive feedback from teh 2005 250R cam, although its more mid to upper end. Is this correct? What would y'all recommend? I ride 50/50 trails-scrambles / track. I'd love something where I can get more power out of the turns and I don't think my skill is up there yet to be running wide open on the top end (hardly ever get out of 4th).

Is changing the piston worth it? What is the noticable difference it wll do? What about doing to a 250R head? What exactly will that give me ?

Just picked up a primo Stage 1 Hotcam from SacTown Old Dude. Thanks man. As soon as I buy the piston/rings and get it all back together I'll post after my first ride and give my impressions.

SacTown - I forgot to ask what jetting you ran with the Hotcam? I'm currently running 150m, 42p, stock needle - 4th from top, A/P mod, Air box mod, two turns out on mixture, drilled bafflel. Should I do the pink wire mod or is that only for the R cam?

I did the pink wire mode for the quicker revs and the higher RPM range .Its easy to do and readily reversable. I ran the JD jet kit at his recomendations which was no need to change with the hot cam. As I recall its a 45p and a 160m with his needle and clip per his setting. I too have the AP mod . I am using the X head pipe with the R can.

Enjoy

ST O.D.

I'm wanting to do the same to my 07 X. So if I go with all R components, is everyone saying the 05r cam and 08r piston is the way to go? So I can just buy these OEM parts new and have them installed, and I'm good to go? I just got my suspension completely redone for the woods, now I'm ready to move on to the motor and a Rekluse!!! (All CCC mods and jetting is done)