So much for 100% daily driver. (Crash)

Got cleaned out by a car on feb. 4th. Going straight through an intersection with driver coming at me and he just turned right into me. I swerved as much as I could and he just still kept turning. Front bumper to the left side of my bike. SOMEHOW got both legs out and ended up laying down on TOP of of my drz which was on its side. Skidded to a stop and stood up. As a lifeguard I've seen many traumatic injuries(even crashes behind tower), but I asked a bystander to check me out because I was afraid to look down. Luckily everything was there, and facing the right way, which obviously is not the case for my bike. Don't know how I got so lucky. Broken foot, big ol' burn from sitting on the exhaust, and the usual lumps and cuts. Hit my head but luckily had an Arai helmet and have no neck or back pain. Long story short, after two different insurance companies that he provided(legal slip but cancelled policy), as well as having a new car and being active military, he is not covered at all by legal insurance. My insurance was basic liability which in Hawaii turns out to not cover property or medical damages. Guess if I somehow hit a pedestrian that's what it would cover. Message to all with kids and families, re-evaluate the risk to reward of riding. That was the third car that pulled in front of me as I'm sure you guys experience also. But this was the most helpless feeling I've ever experienced as I got so far out of the way and there was nothing I could do to avoid getting hit. Btw- daytime, coming home from work in ALL red and it didn't help one bit. Safe riding to all and thanks for making these forums and my favorite hobby so fun while it lasted.

Sorry to hear about your crash, but thank God you're still with us to tell the tale. That's the nature of the beast, though. You do what you can to improve your chances, but all the gear in the world isn't going to save from some of the absolute bat-shit stupid cagers out there... which is one of the many variables we unfortunately cannot control.

Heal fast and stay safe :bonk:

He caused the crash, and admitted fault at the scene to police. He admitted fault to my insu. agent (which surprisingly they don't record though they record my statement). I had acquired representation only a few days after I learned from my insu. (progressive) that because my coverage excludes medical, his insu. would then not be liable to pay. Something funky with his company only reimburses my companies expenses, so when mine didn't cover it, neither would his. That was when we thought he had coverage and the reason I got a lawyer in first place. His second plan was one taken out by a bank to cover the new car he leased, so it ONLY covered damages to his vehicle. The guy seems like a stand-up guy (besides the fact that he was driving with a policy he personally cancelled and yet still gave it to police). My representation has worked out that he will pay for my bike, and we can go through some program to help recoup my medical costs. Its a program every ins. company has to pay taxes to for situation like this so I hope that will help. He is very genuine and apologetic. And for that I'm appreciative. And for being alive.

You came out of that pretty clean injury wise but got screwed hard through insurance which is no surprise. Personally I have full coverage on my bike because the $100 difference between full and liability beats out the possibly tens of thousands of dollars in the end with just liability. Heal up quick and good luck nailing that scumbag to the wall. Try and get possession of his house and all his vehicles.

It certainly seems as though the guy that hit you should be in some trouble if he is driving without proper insurance. Hopefully this can be worked out and you will not suffer any financial hardship. The good part is that you survived the accident. :bonk: Bikes can be repaired or replaced...

The guy that hit you may be sorry, but "sorry" does not do anything about your bills or your bike. Stand firm and don't back down, you did not cause the accident. Hopefully your representation can help sort this out.

I hope this all works out OK for you and that you heal up quickly.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'm already healing up quicker than expected. It's amazing how quick cuts and the big burn heal when I'm not in the ocean 3-5 times a day. As for taking his house and his vehicles, that just ain't how I live life. I don't think like that and I don't go along with that. This sucks for him too I'm sure. I just hope to cover the ER bills and follow up doctors visits that I had to pay out of pocket. Cause im not one with a savings account. City lifeguard status ain't balling. Thanks guys. Maybe some good parts to be listed soon in TT classifieds. I do have one of those BB offroad racks that we got through group buy. Damn, love that thing.

weatThanks for the well wishes guys. I'm already healing up quicker than expected. It's amazing how quick cuts and the big burn heal when I'm not in the ocean 3-5 times a day. As for taking his house and his vehicles, that just ain't how I live life. I don't think like that and I don't go along with that. This sucks for him too I'm sure. I just hope to cover the ER bills and follow up doctors visits that I had to pay out of pocket. Cause im not one with a savings account. City lifeguard status ain't balling. Thanks guys. Maybe some good parts to be listed soon in TT classifieds. I do have one of those BB offroad racks that we got through group buy. Damn, love that thing.

it doesn't matter if you 'live life like that' or not. he owes you. sue.

also, if he's military, contact his base / XO /CO and tell them they have an uninsured motorist on base. they'll make him pay.

It does matter how I live because I am making these decisions. Don't get me wrong, I want to get reimbursed for all my costs. But that statement was in regard to "taking his house and cars." the guy made a mistake, I'm not looking to crucify him. His genuine attitude, his demeanor, his willing to cooperate, and his action of moving to the US to fight for my country all have an impact on my attitude towards him.

• Like 1