Sign in to follow this  

Retro Inspired CR

I'm tossing around ideas for an 80's inspired '01. What are your thoughts on this comp I worked out?

2gtrdbn.jpg

It kinda hurts me to think about PC'ing all that nice aluminum. Bare frame version.

f9jwg0.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good :bonk: but this is my favorite:

http://throttlejockey.com/product/x_2YDN93QWawZSN1EY2lkPT/RETRO%20REPLICA%27S

how about reproducing something like that. I'd order up in a second - I just can't find the side panels that they use. I also wonder if that shade of red is slightly different than the one I'd be able to order. I'd love to have my 02 looking like the david bailey replica

• Like 1

Yea definitely bare frame, don't worry about powdercoating. It doesn't hold up that well either. Maybe 1 season if you race, more if you don't, but bare frame just looks better anyway and still is clearly an 80's tribute bike.

• Like 1

Brentk660, are those stock honda red plastics on there? I was worried that the red plastics I can get for an 02 cr250 won't look orange enough to go with the blue seat/color scheme - but that is nice! I really like the setup, its a very clean and classic look, nice work .

Thanks for the input y'all! Think I'll stick with the bare frame but do a bling polish on it. Shrank the Honda logo a bit on the shroud so this is prob how she will be. I'll make a progress thread when I start working on it.

24nqlgm.jpg

Yup. Pretty killer. I would put the big wing/250 logo on my bike, but that's just me.

Man, I'm surprised at how many people responded about liking the bare frame. It doesn't look "retro" with a blingy aluminum frame. If you really want the retro look paint the frame red, orange, or black. The top pic really looks old-ish, the bottom pic just looks like a new bike with a couple old stickers.

the bottom pic just looks like a new bike with a couple old stickers.

No doubt, but that's probably about all I'll have the money to do! haha

Brentk660, are those stock honda red plastics on there? I was worried that the red plastics I can get for an 02 cr250 won't look orange enough to go with the blue seat/color scheme - but that is nice! I really like the setup, its a very clean and classic look, nice work .

No, apparently they're a one off custom color from UFO. They were on the bike when I got it. I took pictures/emailed UFO, they said they'd make more but it would be pricey. I don't know how the previous owner got em, but I'd like to find another set.

As for the natural tank, when I'm trying to squeeze 80 miles out of a mountain loop, I like to see exactly how much fuel I have! Function over form I guess.

Man, I'm surprised at how many people responded about liking the bare frame. It doesn't look "retro" with a blingy aluminum frame. If you really want the retro look paint the frame red, orange, or black. The top pic really looks old-ish, the bottom pic just looks like a new bike with a couple old stickers.

How is a aluminum frame introduced over fifteen years ago "blingy"?

How is a aluminum frame introduced over fifteen years ago "blingy"?

How can it NOT be blingy. That's the whole point of polished aluminum, to add some bling. That's why the hot rod guys do it. Just because it was done 15 years ago has no relation to whether it's bling or not.

Edited by yellowdatsun