Sign in to follow this  

Clutch or trans noise?

I rode the KX250 abit around the yard today. I have not ridden it much since I got it. It makes funny noise when the clutch starts engaging. Kinda the same noise when the front brakes make when they are not completey pressed down and the rotor to pad kinda chum if you know what I mean.

It only does it at first engagement of clutch. I never heard at any shifts. I pulled the clutch cover and inspected the springs thinking maybe one was broken but the springs and fibers/plates seem ok.

Also the bearing on the end of the push rod spins smooth.

Any ideas?

Edited by Blackwoodz

pull the clutch completely and measure the plates and fibers and check the plates for warpage. its a start.

Yeah I didn't measure them for warping but none of them were discolored.

It has the sound like when you stretch a spring and then tap it...thats kinda sound but not exactly...I knida thought one of the clutch springs was broken makeing the plates engage lop sided. If I play with it and make the clutch slip some and keep doing that the sound subsides. Maybe it just needs ridden more.... :bonk:

Edited by Blackwoodz

its possible. sometimes noise comes from other places than where they seem to come from. never know, may just need to be ridden like you said.

It's kinda chirping noise if that makes any sense. I know no one here has crystal ballz.... :bonk: but thought someone might have heard something out of the ordinary on a bike they had bought. We got pounded with snow early morning and it is still comeing down so it will be awhile before I can get it back out and test it further. I did change the tranny fluid to ATF and for an instant I never heard the chirp. Then it came back after the bike sat for a week. I thought it could be the o-ring chain but changed it to a another well used non o-ring but that was not it. I hope it is not the clutch input shaft bearing. I have two or three sets of 125 clutches but no 250 clutches to try and see if that makes any difference. I despise trial and error work. :lol:

could be the exhaust springs vibrating. i've heard them "chirp" before. a bead of silicone on each spring length wise cured that. i hate trial and error as well.

Deffinately coming from the clutch pack. I crank it and rode the clutch abit and the chirping goes away. I guess I should buy a clutch kit but the clutch does not slip. I wonder if the springs are not compressing and releasing evenly.?

Edited by Blackwoodz